Dodgy shower pump

I decided to check if the gate valve had broken so drained the cold water tank and hot water tank. Checked valves on cold and hot feed. They are fine. Checked pump filters. No issues. Refilled the system and now no issue with the shower turning on and off.

However I have a different issue now- no cold water in the shower. Just hot water! Any ideas why this may be the case ?

Sponsored Links
I decided to check if the gate valve had broken so drained the cold water tank and hot water tank. Checked valves on cold and hot feed. They are fine. Checked pump filters. No issues. Refilled the system and now no issue with the shower turning on and off.

However I have a different issue now- no cold water in the shower. Just hot water! Any ideas why this may be the case ?
Run it on full cold for awhile and hold the shower head as low as possible if you can.

No, you want the pump running, as the head is fixed to the wall it may take some time for the cold to come through providing all valves are open ;)

Sponsored Links
No, you want the pump running, as the head is fixed to the wall it may take some time for the cold to come through providing all valves are open ;)

This didn't work unfortunately. Just very hot showers at the moment. The temperature doesn't seem to change at all so wondering if it could be a broken cartridge. Do you know how I can tell? It's a dual one so don't want to spend money on a replacement if it's not broken.

This didn't work unfortunately. Just very hot showers at the moment. The temperature doesn't seem to change at all so wondering if it could be a broken cartridge. Do you know how I can tell? It's a dual one so don't want to spend money on a replacement if it's not broken.

Just grasping a straws - might you have got the two cartridge mixed up?

Another guess - I would guess at the cartridges being similar to a waxstat, or a TRV head. A pin in the unit will change position as the unit is heated up, thus proving the unit is working. Popping the unit in a pan of very hot water should confirm proper operation.

Just grasping a straws - might you have got the two cartridge mixed up?

Another guess - I would guess at the cartridges being similar to a waxstat, or a TRV head. A pin in the unit will change position as the unit is heated up, thus proving the unit is working. Popping the unit in a pan of very hot water should confirm proper operation.

16149782793609184765107429156129.jpg 16149783199717727469023355695362.jpg
These are the two parts of the cartridge with the one of the right going in the back of the one on the left. It's like a waxstat? Thinking about dunking it in lemon juice overnight to see if it helps any potential limescale. Regarding the pin changing position is it the one on the right picture you are referring to?

Regarding the pin changing position is it the one on the right picture you are referring to?

I cannot help you there - All I can say is that the general principle of wax cartridges in temperature control, is that the wax in the cartridge expands as it heats up. There pressure of the expansion is then used to operate a valve.

With lots of use, the cartridges can fail and the wax leak out.

On more observation before I give up. Both sides of the shower pump seem to be hot and the little screw valve bleeds hot water on both sides. Also without the cartridge in i just get hot water coming out the void. Could this be an issue with the inside of the pump?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back