Dodgy "Touch Dimmer" Table Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a call today.

Got to the property.

"Can you check these lights for me? Everytime I switch them on, I'm getting a painful shock."

After testing them, the old lady reappeared.

"Have you touched them yet? Did you get the shock too?"

I explained that wasn't the best way of testing them...

Anyhow, here is a volt stick test on the casing:

TableLightI.jpg

And here is a voltage reading between the cpc of a well-earthed socket outlet and the appliance casing.

TableLightII.jpg

She had another (different) touch dimmer table lamp downstairs so out of interest I tested that too. No glowing volt stick & no voltage reading between earth & the casing.

Sponsored Links
Did you check for correct polarity in the plug of the dodgy one?

Chances are that the standard it should comply with would require it to be safe regardless of polarity

Sounds like badly designed imported rubbish to me simon, either it was designed with the casing able to give a perceiveable level of shock or its managed to fail to such a condition

... it would be interesting to see whats inside, if you offered to dispose of it for the homeowner?

Sponsored Links
Did you check for correct polarity in the plug of the dodgy one?

Yes. My Alphatek checks polarity as part of the EFLI test. It came out at 0.74 Ohms on a first floor socket outlet on a TN-S supply. The plug tops were both wired correctly too.

Touch lamps work on capacitance which changes whenever you touch it. They will not work with the casing earthed. Check inside, one I had to fix recently had two capacitors in series with the wire to the casing - to ensure that if one fails there is still a safety measure. Maybe the cheap one only had the one which failed?

Colin C

Did not look inside. But the lamp was double insulated. Or at any rate, it was fed with flat twin flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back