Remote/Touch Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've currently got a regular dimmer switch that controls a pair of wall lights i.e. both go on and off via this one switch. I wanted to replace it with one of them funky new touch/remote controlled dimmers, and was sold the following by the chappie at John Lewis:
Varilight 1Gang 1Way 1x400W touch dimmer switch

Looked simple enough to install so I did, copying the wire positions from the old switch. When I switched the consumer unit's fuse back on, the mains tester was showing that the metal "touch" part was LIVE! As I'd bought a couple of these switches I tried another and the same result. Thanks to the mains tester I didn't touch the switch and am here to tell the tale.

Just to confirm - the Red wire went into the terminal marked with an arrow "Live", and the Black wire went into the terminal marked with the wavy arrow with the line through it. I connected the earth wire to the screw on the plate. There's no slave switch so didn't need to bother with the terminal marked "S".

So the question is - have I wired it up wrong? have I bought the wrong kind of switch? Or could they be from a dodgy batch?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I couldn't find the answer in the archives of this forum.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
are you using a proper multimeter/testlamps to test, or a wee neon screwdriver?

I'm using a mains tester "screwdriver"... but it lights up very brightly which got me more than a little worried.

Should I use a multimeter - never used one - any recommendations for a decent make/model? And what should it show me?

Cheers

Throw it away and buy a multimeter, these things are useless as they detect and not measure...

Sponsored Links
Ok, will do. Will the multimeter show me if it's safe to touch the plate - e.g. zero current ot voltage or something?

you may have caught the wire when screwing it back together making it live either on the new switch or elsewhere . if the earth is connected properly it should blow the fuse, but the earth may not be connected properly elsewhere.

or it may be an induced voltage in the earth cable, although again if it the earth is earhted properly elsewhere it shouldnt really be there.

or something else.

edit: (you have sleeved the earth havent you? and you metal backboxes have grommets and havent damaged the cable?)

A mate of mine had a multimeter knocking around in his car and he checked the metal plate. Said it was safe and repeated what JackC said - screwdriver mains testers are useless. Switch is connected up and working fine. Thanks all, for your help and suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back