dodgy utility room extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live in a grade ll listed Georgian terraced house that was previously owned by the diyer from hell. The place was a wreck when I bought it (good for me though because I got it cheap) lumpy artex everywhere on the walls and ceilings,needed rewired,re-plumbed,etc etc the list goes on.
anyway my next project is the "utility room" and I have A few questions for those more knowledgeable on the subject than me.
Basically the utility room is built as an extension on the original house or rather a wall with a door and window has been added between the main house wall and the back lane wall and a flat roof stuck on the top (basically the original yard has been split in half and a room formed utilising the party wall between my neighbors yard,the back lane wall,the original external wall and the new wall with the original back door opening into the room.Im not at home at the mo to upload photos but you can get the idea using google street view Here
looking at the photo "the utility room" is to the left and yes that is the letter box and it drops directly into to the room :rolleyes:
my questions are thus
1) the wall that was built (not visible on st view due to the perspex covering the remaining yard) is only single leaf with an internal stud wall built on to it and it is the same with the party wall, do I need this sorted i.e do I need another leaf of bricks/block-work building?

2) the floor level is miles out and the ceiling height is very low and by the time the floor is done will be even lower so I plan to lift the height and put a pitched slate roof on which will be governed by the height of the landing window can anyone see any problems with planning/listed building consent?

3)obviously this was built without original planning consent by mr diy and I doubt has decent foundations,dpc etc so ideally it would be easier to knock the wall down and take the roof off and start from scratch but what would be the planning issues? would it be better to say, ask for permission to do remedial works on the extension as it stands now or could they say that they want it removed if permission wasn't given in the first place?

4)if I do knock it down and have to ask permission to build would it be better to get permission for two story's?(even if I only build one for now but put in suitable founds for two) as most of the houses do have two story extensions in the same place. although they were all built before the terrace was listed I believe

advice greatly appreciated
Matt

Sponsored Links
If this is on a listed building and unauthorised, then its unlawful, quite serious, and I wonder why this was not picked up at sale time?

Did you ignore it or did the Solicitors mess up?

As soon as the planners get whiff of this, then you can expect some swift action or an enforcement notice with limited time to comply with, and if it is inappropriate in context of the property, then it will have to come down. The normal time limits for the council to take action ( 4 years) don't apply for listed buildings.

I would not worry about extra walls or raised ceilings at this stage :rolleyes:

When you apply for planning permission, you apply for what you want to build, and build what you applied for. More so when listed buildings are concerned

hi woody
I had a word with my neighbor who has lived here 60yrs she said that at the time of the original listing it was apparently only the front facade of the terrace that was listed but when I have spoken to the council in the past they they say it is also the internal features etc but in saying that there had been a lot of alterations to most of the houses between the time of being built (1819-1824)and the time of listing 1983 so I presume it had already been built (mid 70's judging by the size of the cpc in the wiring)
If this is on a listed building and unauthorised, then its unlawful, quite serious, and I wonder why this was not picked up at sale time?

Did you ignore it or did the Solicitors mess up?

no nothing picked up at sale time I bought the house in 1999 and it had stood empty for about 2 years nothing ignored but the solicitor was a dick

if it is inappropriate in context of the property, then it will have to come down
TBH it wouldn't take much to pull it down and if I had to I would build it back using stone this is also the reason I wanted to re do the roof using welsh slate so it is more in keeping.
but in the same context of the above quote here is another question that you may know the answer to
the front of the property has an added bay window this is a description off the images of England web site
Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. Bands at ground and first floor cills, friezes and cornices. Brick chimneys. Two storeys and basement, some added dormers. Each two storeys, two windows, mostly altered sashes but within original openings. Steps with cast iron railings to six-panel doors (some now flushed over or part glazed) in well carved stone pilaster-and-entablature surrounds. No 5 has added canted stone bay. Some added glazed porches.
now my house is said number 5 so my question is this
is the bay window protected by the listing? its Victorian but its certainly not in context of the georgian features of the terrace and in my opinion spoils the line of the terrace but then so do some of the added porches. just wondering what your views are?
L430196.jpg

matt

Listing is designed to protect all, or certain features of the building. The listing will apply to the whole building, but only certain parts or features of it may be of interest or concern to the listing.

So it may be that the rear extension or that bay do not impact on the features relevant to the listing.

You need to find out what the special features are which caused the property to be listed and which will be protected, and govern what work you can do on the property

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back