Dodgy Video Remote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a problem with my panasonic video recorder. The video recorder doesn't respond to the remote.

Here are some facts:
1) The remote is working, as a replacement has been purchased and this fails to operate the recorder also. All options on the remote have been explored (2 video player option etc)

2) The video still works fine, it plays, records but has to be operated by the front panel.

I suppose this would indicate that the IR receiver is knackered, would a simple replacement remedy the problem, or is it likely that it could be something else wrong? Would any remote IR receiver work in place of the suspicious one?

Any thoughts / help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Have you check the battery holder connections are not dirty etc.

Definitely nothing wrong with the remote, as we purchased a replacement and the video doesn't respond to that either. (& we've tried different batteries!)

Have you checked that there isn't anything blocking the IR signal from getting through such as dirt, tape..etc on the video?

Also the video may be malfunctioning. Try switching it off at the wall, waiting for about 30 seconds, then switching back on.

Sponsored Links
Yep, even removed the VCR case and tried with no case on, still nothing.

Some Panasonic videos have two seperate channels for operating. Presume this is in case set up consists of two videos of same make.

Make sure video and remote are set to same channel if they are not it aint going to work.

Alan

Done this, tried both channels on the remote, cannot access the VCR setup because you need to do it through the remote! In any case neither VCR setting on the remote made any difference.

It's a tough one! :(

Hi Jeeves

Don't know if this is the case with yours but... the batteries went in the remote for my mothers tv, and she eventually replaced them but the remote no longer worked. Somone told told her that the batteries have to be replaced within a certain amount of time or else this can happen. It also says the same on my Sky remote.

There was something you have to do to get it to work again, unfortunately I can't remember what it was. If you think this could be the cause you could see if theres any info in the instruction book, sometimes the books are available online, or try customer service at Panasonic or a friendly TV repair shop?

Amanda

you can buy a remote controll that works everthing,I think your IR section would be fine as those diodes last for a very long time could be a relay,This stuff is best checked by a technician,might be cheaper to buy new video and remote.

What's the model number? We have a fault database here which may list the problem.

amandaeb said:
Hi Jeeves

Don't know if this is the case with yours but... the batteries went in the remote for my mothers tv, and she eventually replaced them but the remote no longer worked. Somone told told her that the batteries have to be replaced within a certain amount of time or else this can happen. It also says the same on my Sky remote.

There was something you have to do to get it to work again, unfortunately I can't remember what it was. If you think this could be the cause you could see if theres any info in the instruction book, sometimes the books are available online, or try customer service at Panasonic or a friendly TV repair shop?

Amanda
The reason for this is that they are basically ONE FOR ALL remotes and you have to enter a code for your particuar make of equipment, when power is lost for too long it refers back to it's factory specifications

As an addendum to this try this site it may help fix the sky remote prob?

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/digicode.htm

If you have tried two remotes for the correct model of VCR and still no joy it may well be that the IR sensor is faulty, i seem to have had quite a few recently, they all seem to be fairly similar these days so finding a second hand one shouldnt be a problem

regards

Jay

i hate to say this but origonal post was in March, thats 5 months ago, bet they have new vcr now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back