Dodgy wall

G

Goldspoon

Hi,

I have stripped a wall of tiles (approx. 120cm high of tiles) and wish to replace with new tiles now. However, the wall is in a state with the approx. 1 to 2" of concrete (or whatever it is) having fallen off the brick work. If I get my fingers under what's left then then it also just falls off as is not stuck to the wall very well at all (it literally is hanging a few mm away from the brick in places with air between it and the brick).

P1010518.jpg

What's the best way to proceed? Should I get a plasterer in and if so what should he be doing? Should I stick a layer of plasterboard over the whole wall? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
The same thing happened when I renovated my niece's bathroom.The plaster was shot and hollow sounding when tapped and falling off in areas.
I stripped all the walls back to the brick work then dot and dabbed the walls then tiled directly onto the boards (after tanking ind priming in the relevant areas)
Have a look at this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5maNBW4HM

A before and after at my niece's

Thanks for taking the time to respond - very good of you. I have a plasterer mate coming to see this job tomorrow and will post the result :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back