Does a consumer unit have same safe zones as socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question..just to add I'm not doing the work myself, just getting differing opinions

My C U is in the downstairs toilet on a internal wall. I need to get. Cable outside only way without having cables all over is to run down the wall into the boxing for the toilet and out the wall.

One person wants to use swa on a non Rcd breaker and esentaiily just have the cable hanging into the back of the cu

One wants to run the cable in t and e then into the boxing into an adaptable box terminate to swa and out the wall and use it on a type ac Rcd side of the board.

The charger has all the protection built in.

Are these options ok?

What's the best option

Sponsored Links
Zones apply horizontally / vertically from a consumer unit in the same way as sockets and switches.

What are you having installed?
If it's an EV charge unit, it cannot be connected to an existing type AC RCD.
SWA must be terminated with the proper glands, and most certainly NOT just 'hanging into the back of the cu'.
There is a long list of other things which must be checked before installing an EV charger.

Yes it's an ev charge unit it's either the hypervolt or the zappi

CU is an Schneider easy 9 split load

There is no non Rcd protected ways first guy wants to shift the first Rcd over then use that breaker

I can't seem find a type a Rcd for the Schneider units

first guy wants to shift the first Rcd over then use that breaker
That may be a valid option, depending on how the CU is configured internally.
MCB and the whole circuit in armoured cable, no RCD required.
Or fit an easy9 RCBO, which are all Type A, and wire it in T&E or similar.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back