Does a neighbours removal of developmental rights stop me building a fence ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a house within my grandparents land. The council removed my developmental rights including fencing.

I really want a fence for privacy reasons and having two large dogs.

Can my grandad build the fence as his land surrounds my house so the fence would fence my house off and claim its his fence or would my removal of developmental rights impact that?

Sponsored Links
Could you not plant hedging?

While instant hedging is expensive, hedge saplings are very cheap. Perhaps if you built support posts and tightly attached wire around it on a few levels (erm, basically a fence) and used this as support for the hedges you'd get best of both worlds? Maybe even use chain link as the hedge supports?

If your grandads house has not got any restrictions then yes he can put a fence wherever he wants to, even one that separates between you both.

Perhaps contact the council about them allowing you to have a fence.

Sponsored Links
Council's do not remove development rights, they remove permitted development rights, and all that means is that you need to apply for permission for the fence.

Whoever dealt with your planning application for the house, should have included the external landscaping in the application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back