Does a new aluminium sliding door require a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at installing a new sliding door approximately 2m in length. As I will need to cut a new doorway for that into the wall, I have been getting conflicting advice on whether I would need a lintel as some people have told me that the aluminium frame of the sliding door will beable to support the load hence will not need a lintel. Is there some truth to this?
THanks

Brin

Sponsored Links
Its brick and I understand that generally lintels are required for any doorways. However, I was told by a builder that the aluminium frame of a sliding door is sufficient to support the roof of a 1 storey house so I was wondering if there was any truth of it. I myself found it hard to believe hence was hoping to get further insights on it.

Sponsored Links
It'd probably be ok until his van pulls off the drive! If it doesn't fall down when the frame is being put in it will soon start to sag and you'll find your sliding doors don't slide any more.
Just reread your post, is there brickwork above the preposed frame or is it the roof wallplate as you say it's a single storey?

Thanks to everyone for their advise so far!

There is brickwork above.
A picture might explain it better. I've uploaded the building plans for that wall and I've drawn the location of the door of the door in red. Frontal view of the doorway on the right and side view on the left. View media item 39861

Every time the door is slammed it will vibrate the wall above eventually causing it to crack

Unless the doorset is actually designed to incorporate a load bearing head, then it will need a lintel above. Otherwise it will eventually bow and bind on the doors

I'd say the only advice you want to listen to is the manufactures of the alu frame... Ask them..!

And I bet I know what they will say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back