Does a new extension need a soakaway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the above - can a new extension be connected to existing sewage system for rainwater or must a soakaway be used?

Thanks
Andy[/i]

Sponsored Links
Connection to existing drains is the least preferred option - ie if other options are available then they must be taken

And min 2m away from a boundary. And the ground must be suitable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I thought it was 5m from buildings but wasn't sure about the distance from the highway.

The designer for my extension put a soakaway in the middle of my front garden but the neighbours garage was only a few metres away, and there's probably only about 6 m between the edge of my proposed extension and the pavement.

When I questioned the position of the soakaway the designer just took it off the drawing. So I had to explicitly ask about what his plans were for rainwater and he said to connect to the existing drains.

I do have a larger area of garden to the front of the property on the other side of the house, but that would mean running the pipes under the existing drive - would building control expect that to be done or would they agree to connecting to the sewer system? Or is it one of those things where it depends on the person on the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back