Does a weak mix for slabs mean problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a greenhouse (aluminium, so lightweight) on top of an existing paving slab patio. As the slabs were not completely level & some were loose, I thought I'd re-lay it. The foundations are concrete (of varying height) from a previous building. I used the 5 spot method, and sand & cement. When finished it looked the business.

Next day I went to check, and noticed (from the edge and from the left over cement) that it wasn't solid. I thought I'd used a 1 in 5 mix, but I guess I measured it out inaccurately, or didn't mix it enough. Today (2 days later) its a little more solid, but I can still scratch a bit off with my nails.

So, what to do. Do I just relay the slabs which will take the greenhouse base and point it, giving it all a more solid edge around the sides (I'll use readymix next time)? Do I re-lay it all, yet again. Or do I leave it alone, as its fairly solid & as it is it is doesn't look like it will collapse. Could rain get into it, & freeze, & cause collapse.I don't know if the wet will causing freezing (there are a lot of gaps between the 5 blobs of mix).

My old dad was a builder, I wish he was here to ask. I'm an office worker (maybe thats why I'm now aching), but I always like to have a go. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A ratio of 5:1 mix does take a lot longer to harden compare to for example 3:1 mix, it will harden eventfully but a lot longer in this weather as well!

Try and use 3:1 mix round the edge to seal it and strengthen the side.

firstly give it a little time to go off properly and reach its hardness. It takes more than a few days as its subject to a damper atmosphere under the slabs. The five spot method should be ok for what you are doing. If you do re bed any use a 1:3 mix or a 3:2:1 sharp sand, soft sand, cement. The thing to remeber is that gravity is a rather good help in keeping the slabs in place. Once pointed up it will be locked together. You dont need to worry about water and freezing

Sponsored Links
Concrete continues curing to full strength for ages (months I think :rolleyes: ).

So I'd say that your probably ok once pointed as Thermo says ;)

i think its 28 days to reach optimum strength and then it continues to slowley harden over time. A bit like glass continues to flow

I've been told that concrete footing take over 50 years to harden because of the moisture in the ground :eek: :confused:

masona said:
I've been told that concrete footing take over 50 years to harden because of the moisture in the ground :eek: :confused:

Thats gonna be my excuse if I get any problems with previous jobs.

Customer: 'Hello, countygardens, that wall you built has a massive crack going up it, and its only 5 years old!'

Me: 'Sorry Mr/Mrs ...... but did you know it can take up-to 50 years for concrete to finish hardening? You should never have sat on it, you fat useless ****!'

its about how its all a bit inconclusive so its neither one nor the other....rather peculiar really!

nah......im not that bothered and i DONT want to be reminded of school! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks everyone, its definitely a bit harder today, so I'm really glad I didn't rip it all up and redo it thevery next day, which did go through my mind. So, just the pointing to do before I start on the next job. And thanks for the stuff about glass, I'll double check what arrives with the greenhouse ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back