Does a weed membrane sheet help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Before I put the hardcore down for my patio, I was wondering if it's worth putting down a weed membrane sheet.

Does it stop weed and is there any point in getting one?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not really. The patio itself will prevent weeds growing as it will block out sunlight from the soil, the same as a membrane would. An exception here is with decking where there is a gap between the boards that lets light through, and space between the top of the soil and the bottom of the boards, but with your reference to "hardcore" I assume this isn't the material you will be using.

If you are using slabs or blocks, after a period of time weeds will start to appear in any cracks between the surface, but the roots would be above any membrane anyway, so fitting one wouldn't prevent this.

Thanks for your reply stem.

My plan is to put down weed sheet on the soil and then hardcore and then Indian sandstone slabs... Is that okay?

The weed sheet is a total waste, no weed will grow through 4" of compacted hardcore and sand and cement bedding.

The only reason to use a membrane under paving is a geotextile for ground stabilisation or as a seperation membrane between a heavy/ wet clay sub grade and hardcore

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for clarifying that. You guys are brilliant. Saved me a little bit of money :)

That's really appreciated endecotp.

One thing I forgot to ask....

I haven't got enough hardcore, but I do have plenty of sharp sand. So could I fill the sub-base area with a layer of sharp sand?

One thing I forgot to ask....

I haven't got enough hardcore, but I do have plenty of sharp sand. So could I fill the sub-base area with a layer of sharp sand?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I would be grateful if someone could advise if I can use sharpsand if I've ran out of hardcore as a base?

Thank you

No, you should use hardcore. You could mix a bit of sand in if you need rid but not much. You absolutely should avoid a solid layer of sand.

No worries buddy. I'll only put a tiny layer on it. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back