Does an extension roof have to match the existing tiles on house ?

My neighbour had a conservatory over 20 years ago, with a plastic roof.

Recently she put a solid roof on there in the form of plastic grey tiles which don’t match the original roof at all.

We are a semi detached property.

When I rang to complain they had an investigation and deemed it all ok.

When I asked the council about their decision they said she didn’t need planning permission, she also said if she asked us beforehand we would have told her to put matching tiles, but she more or less said it’s up there now and we’re not going to make her change it.

They also said it’s ok because it’s the same as before I told her she now has a skylight as well as a new drain pipe and they said that’s ok also.

I asked her could I appeal the decision she said no. Nothing can be done.

So my question is is there anything that can be done? My neighbor Is now the only house on the estate with a grey roof everyone else has brown tiles.

Sponsored Links
Under permitted development rules materials for a conservatory do not have to match the existing property. Whether it is still classed as a conservatory now it has a solid roof is rather a grey area. (pun intended)

Years ago when she had garage built and annex they said the roof tiles would have to match, the woman on the phone even said if they asked for permission first hey would have told her too match the tiles.

She also said there’s no appeal procedure?

Sponsored Links
Under permitted development rules materials for a conservatory do not have to match the existing property. Whether it is still classed as a conservatory now it has a solid roof is rather a grey area. (pun intended)
Errr, this is a component repair, planning have no say.

Lol I’m not being a bust body my neighbor is a pain in the arse I only complained because she complained when I built a fence same height as hers I only found out she didn’t have planning permission because the council told me

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate and understand why you reply in such a manor as I realise on the face it seems petty. Unfortunately I have been dragged down to my neighbors level and am now complaining to the council because she complained about my fence.

We have had many years of trouble with her and I get wrapped up in the situation, if you knew my neighbour you wouldn’t be taking the **** you hopefully would be giving me decent advice which is what I thought this forum was used for.

Matching tiles arent possible.

The tiles that go on a conservatory are lightweight. Those on a house are the opposite of lightweight.

Im sure when the conservatory had a poly roof, it didnt match the house tiles.

Are you sure the conservatory is more ugly now than when it had a plastic roof?

Lol I’m not being a bust body my neighbor is a pain in the arse I only complained because she complained when I built a fence same height as hers I only found out she didn’t have planning permission because the council told me
Maybe, but seriously of all the things, you are complaining about a grey colour roof!

you wouldn’t be taking the **** you hopefully would be giving me decent advice which is what I thought this forum was used for.

No not today, it's too hot, today is for winding up grumpy old men. Now knock one out and book an appointment with your therapist in the morning.

Matching tiles arent possible.

The tiles that go on a conservatory are lightweight. Those on a house are the opposite of lightweight.

Im sure when the conservatory had a poly roof, it didnt match the house tiles.

Are you sure the conservatory is more ugly now than when it had a plastic roof?
Looks better than before just asking advice

Maybe, but seriously of all the things, you are complaining about a grey colour roof!
It’s not the roof it’s the principle she complained about my fence caused 7 kinds of **** then the council told me she didn’t have permission for the roof so I said if she can complain so can I.

Just wanted a bit of advice guys I’m well aware how petty it sounds.

While your whit does seem to know no bounds it is wearing a bit thin when you come in a forum asking for advice and you get taken the **** of.

I realise it’s petty I realise it’s not crime of the century. In fact it looks better now than before.

It’s the fact that when she was putting the new roof on she built it in my property and many other factors which is leading me up to this post believe it or not I have got a life honest

It’s not the roof it’s the principle she complained about my fence caused 7 kinds of **** then the council told me she didn’t have permission for the roof so I said if she can complain so can I.

Just wanted a bit of advice guys I’m well aware how petty it sounds.

While your whit does seem to know no bounds it is wearing a bit thin when you come in a forum asking for advice and you get taken the **** of.

I realise it’s petty I realise it’s not crime of the century. In fact it looks better now than before.

It’s the fact that when she was putting the new roof on she built it in my property and many other factors which is leading me up to this post believe it or not I have got a life honest
You got good advice ... forget it and move on. The fact that you don't like it is not our fault.

You can't do anything about it. How's that?

If, as you say, a roof has been built on your property then you can do something about that in court. It's a trespass.

No not today, it's too hot, today is for winding up grumpy old men. Now knock one out and book an appointment with your therapist in the morning.
Ok I will come back tomorrow after I knock
You got good advice ... forget it and move on. The fact that you don't like it is not our fault.

If, as you say, a roof has been built on your property then you can do something about that in court. It's a trespass.
thanks

Who said I didn’t like the advice? I asked a question and this is what you gave me. thanks anyway, I only hope when you need a bit of advice one day whatever it may be regarding, that you are given the same quality advice you gave me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back