selling house help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello please can someone advise
i converted my sisters garage 3 years ago now she wants to sell to move to a smaller property
they have a problem they had no planning
they had no structural alterations done just put a window where the door was
and built up to the window
they had the estate agent up today they asked about the planning
apparently the land is leasehold
shes concerned they will be unable to sell
has anyone got advice please
her neighbor did the same 10 years and told her she did not need planning !
she was also told if no one reports the conversion with in 2 years no one can make her put it back into a garage ?
thank you Paul

Sponsored Links
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/

It's probably not planning you need to be concerned about, but building regs. Garages are typically uninsulated and may not have effective means of escape from fire. If it did need planning permission, the period is 4 years. If building regs was required and not sought the enforcement period is 1 year. If you don't have regs approval, then the buyers solicitor may use it as an excuse to barter you down and may not accept purchasing an indemnity policy as sufficient. The buyer can make a decision as to how much they want your house and you make a decision how much you want to sell, and a price is reached thereon.. If they want it, it will sell but you might not get the price you hoped for if the paperwork isn't in order

thank cjard
would they have any issues with the leaseholder of the land ?
thanks paul

Sponsored Links
my sister has been told that she has to buy the leasehold £8,000
would they have a say regarding the alterations ?
thanks paul

It rather depends on the contents of the lease agreement and the reason for why she has to buy it. personally, I'd buy it because I don't like the idea of leasehold for something where here is no one else above or below. Other people's mileage varies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back