loft room conversion 23yrs ago

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help

my husband converted our loft to a room for my daughter to study in 23 years ago, we were told we did not need planning permission as we were only having a velux window installed, we are now selling our house as a two bedroom when the purchasers mortgage company sent their surveyor
in he devalued the house by seven thousand pound because he said its only a two bedroom house which is what we were selling it at anyway and,nothing more. we did except the the reduced offer thinking that perhaps the estate agents did over price it the purchasers were happy to pay the original price at the start. now i am concerned that we never had building regs applied for although we did have plans and my husband carried out as much to the plans we really was not aware that you had to have building regs, now i am worried when the searches are done how we stand on this we in our sixty and seventys and finding this stressful
we are hoping to move near our daughter in cornwall has my husbands health is not good
what happens if the purchasers solicitors pick up on this and can we ever sell the house :?:

Sponsored Links
There are thousands of houses where the loft was converted 20+ years ago without regs approval, I wouldn't worry about it. Sure some may be put off but many won't be too worried. There is nothing legally Building Control could do about it so I wouldn't worry on that score. Besides other than getting the works Regularized which in my opinion would be overkill there's nothing you can do about it now anyway. No point losing sleep over it. Have you had it valued by other estate agents as a comparison?

thank you for your kind words i really hope the sale goes through we do need to move closer to our daughter, as regards to the valuation of the property prices are dropping and there is so much more property now on the market than when we started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back