Velux window in garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought our house as a 4 bed house but one of the bedrooms is a conversion over the garage with a single Velux window. We had always believed that the house was priced as a 3.5 bedroom house because of this.

Below the Velux window is a strange fitted step. We believed that this was to meet building regs at the time as it looks like you could use it as a means of escape in a fire. We understand these regs are no longer in place and would like to remove the step.

Can anyone foresee any problems with this? Either in meeting current regs or with pricing the room as a bedroom? We're not having any building work on the room, but are having a couple of new Veluxes putting in which doesn't require BC.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It should conform to the regulations of the time it was built. You can't say that regulations have now changed, so that you can alter the work to meet current regulations.

But it's your house and no one will check. Just hope that you don't have a fire and need to use it, as any insurance could be invalid as you have altered the risk.

I don't know how anyone can value a house as having half a bedroom.

Sponsored Links
Below the Velux window is a strange fitted step. We believed that this was to meet building regs at the time as it looks like you could use it as a means of escape in a fire. We understand these regs are no longer in place and would like to remove the step.

How far off the floor is the bottom of the velux? Could you (or the intended occupants of the room) get out without the step?

I was talking to my BCO about my Juliet balcony railings a couple of weeks ago. He was reinforcing the importance of them being exactly 1100mm off the FFL. Too high and the room is inescapable. Too low and they're dangerous!

But it's your house and no one will check. Just hope that you don't have a fire and need to use it, as you might be dead
Fixed that for you woody!!

OP Always think about what your kids/elderly relatives could get out of in a fire, that's why building regs are strict.

How far off the floor is the bottom of the velux? Could you (or the intended occupants of the room) get out without the step?

I was talking to my BCO about my Juliet balcony railings a couple of weeks ago. He was reinforcing the importance of them being exactly 1100mm off the FFL. Too high and the room is inescapable. Too low and they're dangerous!

The same issues apply to windows where more than 1 building reg needs to comply.

For example lockable window handles, but need to fire escape.....

low level windows, need to have restrictors but may also be means of escape.

And as you say Juliet Balcony 1100mm rules. Ive found customers dont like the railings 1100mm high on a shortish door they look awfully high from outside. Stupid things anyway, an architects fad :):):) I just done a house load of joiner for a customer that is having 7 juliette balcony French door sets, some of the rooms dont have windows....so you have to open the doors to let in any fresh air!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back