ventilation of shower room with opening window

How are you going to fit a fan on a velux without rain getting through the fan?

Maybe with some weather cowl which some companies make to fit their products.

Could you also say more about the passive stack system please.

Also this http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADF_2010.pdf
is on the web...just noticed today...

in section 7...(7.12 - 7.15) pg 40 "addition of wet room to existing dwelling"...it refers to sections 5.2a) 5.2b) or 5.2c) pg 27 onwards all of which mention opening windows as being OK. This was a new regulation which came into force in October 2010...just a few days before the regulators looked at the job....How do you all understand this?? Is the opening window sufficient, or since the panning application was granted in 2005 and building happened in 2008, do these regulations not apply??

Thanks,

John H.

Sponsored Links
Its not a way round as Richard C asked merely an alternative. You still need a duct from the ceiling to the roof so there is no advantage in this situation.

^woody^ does raise a good point though of keeping the rain out. Gonna be an ugly cable fixed to the frame too.

Its not a way round as Richard C asked merely an alternative. You still need a duct from the ceiling to the roof so there is no advantage in this situation.

^woody^ does raise a good point though of keeping the rain out. Gonna be an ugly cable fixed to the frame too.

The wetroom is part of a loft conversion, (in the roof) and the top of the velux window has a vent, pretty much at the top of the room, so can it be argued with building regs that it is a passive system??

John H.

I'm guessing you don't have any loft space above then?

I know it's a loft conversion... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
....So can we presume a passive system could be used....can a room already in the roofspace be turned into a passive system (for purpose of building regs) by ammending a velux window? Or does the window already count?

John H.

A passive system will merely mean a continuous vent, but in a place were it will draw air up and out - so a ceiling or on the slope of your ceiling.

In your situation it may be just as easy to stick an extract fan in (but not in the velux). But you may be able to have a passive vent in some top corner of the room somewhere. It may be easier and less disruptive to do all the work from the roof.

I only mentioned a passive system as Richard C stated that a fan was the only option, which it is not.

Which one is the best option is something you need to think about though.

With regards to the b/regs, then you work to the ones in force when your plans were passed - the 2005 ones, and it does not matter if regulations change in the meantime. However, if regulations change to make it less onerous on you then you can argue to meet the newer ones

A passive system will merely mean a continuous vent, but in a place were it will draw air up and out - so a ceiling or on the slope of your ceiling.

Thanks, before the fan is used it might be best to check on this more....the velux is high up almost right at the top of the slope...it has a vent, but maybe not enough area.

What area is needed?, is it just a vent or something more complicated to constitute a passive system...it sounds daft but could more area be created in the wooden frame of the velux window if necessary?

John H.

woody and Richard a step back please :D :D

you are both sound as a pound genuine honest and no abuse from either off you thank fcuuk lol

there is enough people being unhelpful and argumentative for the sake off it without 2 off the top lads "misunderstanding " a few point ;)

My apologies JohnHunter1. I will have to make a point of checking the approved document updates before jumping in future but, from the responses, I think I‘m not the only one to have got it wrong. My head was obviously highest above the parapet & a good target; just a shame pearls of wisdom were not freely imparted rather than ridicule a genuine mistake.

Don’t know much about the reliable performance of passive stack ventilation but wonder if it’s actually possible to achieve the minimum extract rates given in table 5.1a without either intermittent or continuous mechanical ventilation! You’ve still got to have an external duct & presumably a fancy cowl arrangement; personally, I think it’s easier to stick a fan in!

My apologies JohnHunter1. I will have to make a point of checking the approved document updates before jumping in future but, from the responses, I think I‘m not the only one to have got it wrong....

Don’t know much about the reliable performance of passive stack ventilation but wonder if it’s actually possible to achieve the minimum extract rates given in table 5.1a without either intermittent or continuous mechanical ventilation! You’ve still got to have an external duct & presumably a fancy cowl arrangement; personally, I think it’s easier to stick a fan in!

OK, no problem...

A fan might end up easiest, but I'll look into the document tkmax posted...and maybe ask more in a few days. Luckily there is no rush on this...it doesn't need doing until we sell, which will probably be a while.

John H.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back