Window fan in velux window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a long story but we have a loft conversion, finished but not passed by building regs as they require a fan 15L/s with 15min over-run.

Rather than cause loads more disruption we've decided the easiest route is through a velux window...any advice please on....

i) The best type of fan
ii) wether it's best to fix the window shut?

On i)
There is a good smallish and slimline MANROSE, but not sure if the window pane would have to be single glazed (up to 10mm) it says in the cataloque...could a thinner pane than the 24mm be fitted securely without leaks etc..

There is slightly bigger Nuaire product apparently suitable for double glazing (32mm)...?

on ii) the opening will probably be restricted to stop wires being caught.

Incidentally has anyone heard of velux developing an automatically opening window with a humidity sensor...I've emailed them to ask...because they already do a similar thing for rain (closing) and smoke (opening)?

Thanks,

John H.

Sponsored Links
If it were me, I would fit the most attractive fan you can find given that its in the window and forget about performance. Frankly a couple of minutes or so having the window open after a shower when you're drying off will extract more steam/hot air than any fan will do in hours!

If it were me, I would fit the most attractive fan you can find given that its in the window and forget about performance. Frankly a couple of minutes or so having the window open after a shower when you're drying off will extract more steam/hot air than any fan will do in hours!

The most attractive will probably be the Manrose WF100T 163mm square, but it is suitable for single glazing... would you recommend doing a single glazed 8mm sheet with some 16mm plywood or mdf on the inside, just around the edge but out of sight, to make up to the 24mm of a velux. (I have in mind possibly swapping back to the original velux pane, after it's been passed!)

Velux have now replied...they don'y do a humidity controlled opener, but as it would be a simple modification of one of their existing windows they might look into it!

John H.

Rather than cause loads more disruption we've decided the easiest route is through a velux window...

No, the easiest route is through the wall as normal. If masonry, drill a hole, if timber frame, even easier to cut through.
As velux's generally face skywards, won't you just be creating a hole for water to come through the fans grill?

Sponsored Links
[/quote] the easiest route is through the wall as normal. If masonry, drill a hole, if timber frame, even easier to cut through.
As velux's generally face skywards, won't you just be creating a hole for water to come through the fans grill?[/quote]

Hi Deluks,

Its a loft conversion with no external walls, unless we go through the floor to another bathroom and out there.

Latest thinking is to go through the roof, we have a ventilation slate which should shield from rain, but I'm worried about wind blowing in and condensation dripping back.

Anyone used to these ventilation slates?

John H.

They're used on all new houses and if designed correctly should not create any problems, the comments made about this in your other thread are pertinent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back