ventilation of shower room with opening window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help please.....we have finished a loft conversion with a shower room which has quite a large opening velux window.

The building regs people won't pass it as they insist on a fan 15L/S...we didn't put one in as we presumed it wouldn't be needed.

It is Kirklees council...is this common to insist on a fan even in a room with the opening window...should we argue more about it or just accept it and put one in (if so it seems a window fan will be the easiest route, with the velux window then probably fixed shut!).

Thanks,

John H & family.

Sponsored Links
Waste of time arguing with the BI, it's been a Building Regs requirement for a fair number of years, opening window or not; along with kitchens, utilities & toilets without an opening window.

Sponsored Links
If you miss something as basic as the requirement for a fan in a shower/bathroom, I wonder what else associated with this “loft conversion” doesn’t comply :?:

What are you on about?

An extract fan is not a "basic requirement" - continuous ventilation via a passive [stack] system has always been an option

:rolleyes:

The loft conversion is a good one, this is the only requirement left to fulfill...

Any advice on a window fan for a velux window?

John H.

Thanks everyone...this discussion might be carried on in the 'loft conversions section as well' as I'm guessing the moderators would prefer it there.

Presumably a glazier could provide the right velux double glazed unit with the hole in it....do you mean Freddy, that the hole would be sealed around the circumference by the glazier?

John H.

How are you going to fit a fan on a velux without rain getting through the fan?

If you miss something as basic as the requirement for a fan in a shower/bathroom, I wonder what else associated with this “loft conversion” doesn’t comply :?:

What are you on about?

An extract fan is not a "basic requirement" - continuous ventilation via a passive [stack] system has always been an option

:rolleyes:

What am I on about :?: FFS woody, it’s basic requirement in terms of BR’s for specific rooms weather they are part of a loft conversion or not; have you got a headache or somethin, WTF are you on about :!: & just for good measure :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No it is not... that is what I am on about.

A passive system can be used.

No it is not... that is what I am on about.

A passive system can be used.
So please indicate to us all where BR’s allow a passive ventilation system to be used instead of forced extract (a fan) in a bathroom, shower room, kitchen, utility room (weather or not there is an opening window) or a W/C without an opening window? If passive ventilation is acceptable in these rooms, why is forced extract stated as a requirement in the approved documents & why has the OP's BI insisted on a fan; no one else seems to have picked up on this “way around” the BR approved documents.

If you know something we don’t or have discovered something radical in the latest BR changes we don’t know about, feel free to impart your knowledge but loose the smart asred comments without any detail & the :rolleyes: , it’s really not necessary especially to a fellow daily :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back