Does an external meter box need a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right section - it's a building question rather than an electrical one...

I'm due to fit an external electrical meter box, presumably they are a standard size, ready for Western Power to drop the main power tails through the cavity from above into the box.

My question is - as I will be removing the outer course of bricks will I need to insert some form of support for the course above?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not worried where the company drop the cables, only assumed it would be in the cavity - just want to fit the box correctly

on new builds we put a l shaped lintel over with a cavity tray but on my own house just stihl sawed the hole out and didn't bother with the lintel as the brickwork was solid but if your brickwork is old i'd put one in

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice - The brickwork is pretty solid. The box is exactly two brickwidths wide, so I am gonna insert it with a half brick either side.

One point though - I know I need to run some heavy duty polythene down the back but is this anchored to the top of the box or to the top of the internal face of the bricks?

In theory, it should go under the cavity tray but take it to the window cill if I remember rightly(?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back