Does anyone know an effective weed killer for bracken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are certain areas of my garden that has lots of bracken, does anyone know of an effective weed killer to put on it that will stop it from growing back?

I found the site linked below, but I thought maybe some people on here might have first hand experience.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=445

Sponsored Links
Use a glyphosate weed killer. Bracken is one of those weeds where I think it's almost justified (weedkiller is horrible for insects) as it's flipping hard to kill it - like ivy & bramble.
Get a strong one perhaps, one that says 'stump killer' or something similar because they seem to be better than some when it comes to persistent weeds like Bracken. It will kill everything, so don't spray on a windy day like I did, lol.....!!

Sponsored Links
Bracken is a nightmare to get rid of. On the moors, the council used to burn it off. TNA.

Use a glyphosate weed killer. Bracken is one of those weeds where I think it's almost justified (weedkiller is horrible for insects) as it's flipping hard to kill it - like ivy & bramble.

That is what I use to control it. We have 50 yards width of wild bracken along our back fence of a distant railway, then 20 yards along the side of a nature reserve to fight back. I just spray it annually to retain control of it. It used to cover much of my garden, but the tractor mower now controls that.

Sounds like you're in a lovely place Harry :)

Years back when I lived for in Camberley, there was a lot of bracken around those ways - and adders. They're fond of bracken my mum used to say! A good reason as any to try to keep it under control in my book, eeek! :D

Sounds like you're in a lovely place Harry :)

Years back when I lived for in Camberley, there was a lot of bracken around those ways - and adders. They're fond of bracken my mum used to say! A good reason as any to try to keep it under control in my book, eeek! :D

It makes us very secure at the back, I would hear them hacking there way through for a week, before they got here :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back