Does anyone know the max capacity of a Domestic Gas Meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I don't know if anyone can give any advice here.. our domestic gas meter keeps tripping out and we are told by Transco - or whatever they are called this week, that we are demanding too much gas and need a commercial meter. They even say we probably need a bigger pipe from the road to the meter and are estimating the cost at up to £15,000!

Our main house boiler is 65kw - a Remeha Quinta 65
Our gas fire is 7kw
We have a second boiler using 29kw - a Sabre HE29

It is adding the second boiler that has started the meter tripping.

I therefore wondered if anyone knew what the maximum Kw is that a domestic gas meter will supply?

Thanks ever so much to anyone who can help!

Sponsored Links
This is something your installer should have picked up on before installing the second boiler, it's a bad thing to have missed, but yes you will need a U16 and yes it will be very expensive. You'll also need to find somewhere to put it as they aren't small

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your help. Can you tell me, does a U16 work with gas that is on medium pressure please?

Thanks for the size info - it's not going to be very attractive then!

I think we need to look at converting the second boiler to LPG as the Remeha 65 and the gas fire were working fine until we added the second boiler and Eon are saying they think we will need to have bigger pipes added too. Currently our pipes are 32mm from the road up the drive and then 20mm on the final stretch to the house. This is where they get their £15,000 from.

Thanks again!

This is something your installer should have picked up on before installing the second boiler, it's a bad thing to have missed,

That only would have happened if he was gas registered. I expect he was some unregistered worker in by a dodgey builder.

Is there any scope for them to ask for a second supply rather than a single large meter and perhaps avoid paying for an up-graded supply pipe?

Excuse my curiosity but why was the second boiler added?

Tony

a u16 will work, but where is your med pressure going to come from?
is your local supply med or low? either way transco have got you by the short and curlies

Perhaps she really needs one of these with all those boilers?

IS5029%20-%20INDUSTRIAL%20GAS%20METER%20HOUSING%20.jpg

just a thought here but could it be the stretch of 20mm that's restricting the flow? any transco guys know the flow rates at 75mb (or more if it's MP)
how big is the swimming pool??
check your inbox for a message

our domestic gas meter keeps tripping out

A normal low pressure domestic meter doesn't have a trip!
You're hardly over the normal domestic gas usage, so I'd be surprised if they really need to upgrade the supply. Have they visited or is someone just guessing?
If you ARE on "medium" pressure, the pipe size sounds big enough.

on full load (100KW?) it's about 50% over the meter's capacity. Serious!
if the supply to the property were MP it would have an MP reg sitting on top of the meter, but i doubt that it has....or has it??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back