Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called MG technical today, but couldn't get through...

It is a 100A TP (+N?) device, with three positions, ON at the top, OFF at the bottom & TRIPPED in the middle.

Now, any other time, I'd believe it was an RCCB, but there's nothing on it to support that assumption, apart from the word "TRIPPED".

MGSafepact.jpg

I have found this:
http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk...oltage-protection/fuse-switch/safepact-2.page

but it does not really help to explain what the unit is doing connected between the meter and the DB's of a domestic installation...

Sponsored Links
It'll be an over current device and in no way will it be an RCBO or any other leakage gear. The word trip on these is very common, installed all over one of my key client sites. I have seen a lot of electricians get confused thinking the word trip automatically means RCD RCBO etc.

When the device isolates via manual tripping or by general operation, the lever will sit in the middle 'tripped' position. it will then need to be pulled to the 'off', then pushed to the 'on' position.

It appears that the domestic installation has three phases and so this switchgear may have been the necessary requirement. I've seen similar before where a house was on one meter yet had a TP&N supply.

Seems a little large for its purpose, maybe it was sitting in the sparkies garage or something.

I may be stating the obvious, but it looks like a bos standard enclosed MCCB to me :rolleyes:

You say it is just SP? I can see 4 tails with colours?

Sponsored Links
Deffo a MCCB (BS60947-2) as others have said. As to why it was there, any long sets of tails? that it could be there to provide protection to? if not... multiple DBS and used as an isolator becuase it was handy left over from another job?

This device feeds two DB's, a small extension CU and a large MG TPN DB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back