Does anyone know where I can locate the thermostat on this cylinder to reduce the heat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
05251573-B64D-477F-887D-D09747F1A7FC.jpeg

I’ve been trialing and error why my electricity is so expensive in this brand new build well insulated flat where I don’t use heating.

Bills still coming up to £157 pm.

Managed to reduce one area of heat where the installers had set it right to the max!!

I spoke with heatrae and they said the control panel blue dial was set too high and shouldn’t have been. This may help my bill slightly

However, he said it sounds like I need to reduce the hot water in the cylinder by locating the thermostat.

I can’t seem to find it on the cylinder.

Is there anyone able to help please?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 40
  • BC5755F9-CCBC-41A2-8C4A-F37A8FEECD05.jpeg
    BC5755F9-CCBC-41A2-8C4A-F37A8FEECD05.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
Isolate the supplies. Remove the white round covers on the heating element (dome nut). Thermostats are underneath each cover.
Oh okay thanks for that! I’ve never done this before do you advise I do it?

Isolating the supplies would be turning off these switches right? Sorry to sound so dim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 31
1. It appears that your water is heated only by one or both of the immersion heaters.
2. As Rodders53 has said, the immersion heaters have the white circular covers held in place by a domed nut.
3. There will be mains electricity voltage inside these covers. Unless you are absolutely certain you know how to isolate the electricity and test that is is isolated, do NOT touch these covers.
4. It is usual (though not certain) that the lower immersion heater is connected to a cheap rate source of electricity (Economy 7 tariff or similar). This heats the entire cylinder full of water up on "cheap" electricity overnight.
5. The top immersion heater is normally connected to standard rate electricity, and is meant to offer a means of topping up the hot water should you run out.
6. A full cylinder of hot water:
6.1 Ought to offer a single occupant sufficient hot water for a couple of days.
6.2 Ought to remain hot for more than 24 hours. Those cylinders are very well insulated.
7. I'd suggest you trace the cable from the top immersion heater to its switch, and turn it off.
8. See how you then get on for hot water. If there is none, or very little after a day, the lower immersion heater may be switched off, may have tripped its overheat thermostat and need resetting, or may be faulty.
9. You shouldn't reduce the immersion thermostat settings below 60 degrees, as you would then run the risk of legionnella.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the detailed reply!

The top immersion I heater I take it to mean it’s the heatrae one with blue dial?

We don’t have an economy 7 tarif just a flexible one with octopus. I do notice that there is spike of usage around 0030-0200 ish. Although, I set the timer on thermostat other day but I see no spike in daily use when I check at those times? It’s all just not making any sense to why my electricity is so high even though we don’t use the heaters for example or a lot of electricity.

Really frustrating we didn’t get any info regarding these when moving in

Thank you

Top immersion = white cover domed nut halfway up the tank

Bottom immersion = white cover domed nut near the err bottom of tank.

BOTH switches labelled water heater should be turned off before removing the covers. You don't sound confident enough to be removing the covers, though.

Owner or renter of the property?

Sorry totally misread that

I’m happy to remove the covers just didn’t really want to make things worse

Renter via housing association

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back