Does Anyone Own Any Of The Following Smartphones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HTC Desire 530

Huawei P8 Lite

Samsung J5

Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation

TCALSS, I have been given a voucher by CPW in respect of two 18 month old phones that have both gone faulty.

The original phones were bought for my parents-in-law as an anniversary present.

The above "pick list" are all 5" phones. None of them are the same brand as the faulty ones!

Some are twice (or more) the price of others but regardless which I choose, the voucher will cover them.

I wondered if anyone had any of the above and could give me an appraisal.

Disregarding the cost, which would you buy and why?

Cheers.

Edited to replace Huawei Y635 with HTC Desire 530.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheers, bolo! Appreciate your input.

I have done that & looked at reviews on YouTube as well.

But I find user feedback very relevant too.

Sometimes there are features of particular phones that users find very helpful or conversely, annoying and off-putting.

That might sway me one way or the other.

OK.

All these phones are 5", 720 x 1280 res, 294 PPI.

All have Android L (and are updateable to M), apart from the HTC that has M.

All were introduced within 3 months of each other in 2015, apart from the HTC which is just released.

All are a very, very similar size, except the Moto G which is around 4mm thicker than the rest.

All have batteries between 2.2Ah (Huawei and HTC) and 2.6Ah (Samsung). The Moto G is 2.45Ah.

All have 13/5 MP cams, apart from the HTC, which is 8/5 MP.

All have quad core processors between 1.1 (HTC) and 1.4 GHz (Motorola). The Samsung is quad 1.2, the exception being the Huawei, which has an Octa 1.2 processor.

Huawei and HTC have 16GB ROM.
Samsung and Motorola have 8.

Huawei and Motorola have 2 GB RAM: Samsung and HTC have 1.5.

The Moto G has a water resistance 30 minutes, up to 1 metre deep.

I have heard in a YT report that the Samsung's sound and volume is poor.

Is there a clear winner?

For me, it's a toss-up between the Moto G and the P8 lite.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If aged users, look for reviews of the particular flavour of the OS, some are easy some are hard - to use.

I preferred the Samsung S4 menus etc to my current HTC M7 menus.
Just because they are the same version of android does not mean that the menus are the same.

Cheers Matty.

I am aware that (unless stock Android) different set-ups from manufacturers vary widely.

I know Huawei has its own built in "simple skin" that you can opt for and with any 'droid phone you can install a simple skin like Wiser to make it less complex.

I have used phones from all these manufacturers (in the case of the Motorola and Samsung I have used those very phones) except HTC.

I would try for stock android if you can (Motorola?) although Google is supposed to be changing things so you get your updates direct from them rather than the manufacturers it may be a while yet before it happens. HTC in particular are notorious for lagging behind on updates and dropping support - but their UI is very nice...the way they partition their storage is not though!

I've heard and had too many bad experiences with Samsung phones to trust them although they are quicker on the turnaround of updates.

Cheers, Chud!

I had discounted the J5 because of the poor sound quality.

Have you any opinion on the Huawei P8 Lite?

Leaning towards the Moto G, TBH.

The Moto G is a good solid performer:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0...oto_g_3rd_generation_2015_android_smartphone/

but I would check it against the 2nd gen Moto X - you may get better performance for similar money with the X given that it's a high end phone that's a bit older.

No idea on the Huawei but they are making the one of the latest Nexus (6p) so should know what they're doing (along with being the biggest phone manufacturer in the world iirc!)

I have just looked up Moto X on CPW and it's £250.

I'm stuck with CPW because they gave me a voucher.

£250 is a bit over budget..... The budget for each phone is £120.

If you are in the trade would you not be best looking at getting a "tough phone"? Dewalt just announced one, but there are others out there. Not as aesthetically looking, but very durable! Don't own any myself, but have considered to get one in the future. Maybe they are bit out of your budget after reading futher posts.

Cheers Matt

These are not for me, but my other half's folks.

I have a Galaxy Mega with a Ballistic case on.

But I will get them "rugged" cases for the phones.

does anyone over 15 actually use a phone for listening to tunes other than thru headphones? the sound quality surely can't be an issue for your in-laws?!?

Sponsored Links
Back