Does Colour Matter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im installing a extractor fan that will have an independant switch. Im getting the live (brown) from the light switch but the neutral (blue) from the light rose.

I have a shed load of single (1.5mm^2) brown cable, can i use this to run the neutral (blue) from the rose and put on the correct colour sleeving at either end?

Im running it outside the bathroom to a 3 amp spure socket then on to its own switch, then finally the fan. I've got some twin cable with earth for all of that.

I just dont want to go buy another load of cable for a short run.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
in the bathroom although im going to put one in the kitchen later - with its own switch

If it is single brown, does it have an outer white/grey sheath??

If not, it WILL have to be run in conduit or trunking - not practicle in a domestic.

When i say conduit/trunknig, this if for ITS FULL length - no stopping/starting at bends like DIYERS like to do.

Go and buy a few meters of the right stuff.

Sponsored Links
yeah its double insulated - your probably right though best to do it right and get the right colour

:)

Lectrician said:
When i say conduit/trunknig, this if for ITS FULL length - no stopping/starting at bends like DIYERS like to do.
It's OK - he will of course be notifying LABC before he starts the work so they'll put him right on matters such as this....

Is installing an extractor fan in a bathroom part of part P? What if the fan is in the roof space and the ducting simply terminates in the bathroom?

G

Then it's not notifiable, unless it needs a new circuit.

And if it, and all its wiring is in the bathroom, but outside the zones, then it is also not notifiable.

But in reply to the other issue you raised, it is of course subject to the other requirements of Part P.

ban-all-sheds said:
Lectrician said:
It's OK - he will of course be notifying LABC before he starts the work so they'll put him right on matters such as this....

Bullet, do the job right but never mind the daft part p! ;)

CAWORK said:
please dont advise posters to break the law - let them make their own mind up.

crafty1289 said:
CAWORK said:

Yeah, sorry, althoough I dont like Part pee I apologise about saying this- I was a little ****ed at the time. :oops: :rolleyes: :!:

CAWORK said:
crafty1289 said:
CAWORK said:

Yeah, sorry, althoough I dont like Part pee I apologise about saying this- I was a little p****d at the time. :oops: :rolleyes: :!:

you'd like 'part pee' if being able to prove you'd complied with it kept you out of serious trouble should something of gone wrong with an electrical circuit and you were subject to an investigation.

;)

Bright_Spark said:
you'd like 'part pee' if being able to prove you'd complied with it kept you out of serious trouble should something of gone wrong with an electrical circuit and you were subject to an investigation.
If it had gone wrong because of something you'd done or not done, then you wouldn't have complied with Part P...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back