Twin brown and earth sleeving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve come across some domestic lighting wiring where some of the loop in cabling is in twin and earth both conductors brown. The neutrals have been sleeved with blue (i.e over one of the brown cores) in the 3 plate ceiling roses. Does this actually contravene any regs or otherwise necessitate rewiring, in effect no different than a brown sleeved blue conductor ?

Sponsored Links
Except where there is no possibility of confusion, conductors must be "identified" as to their use.
This can be done by colour or alpha-numeric labels.

It is totally unconnected with whether any rewiring is required.

It seems a bit daft using twin brown where one is a neutral. I might be inclined to think that the sleeving has been applied incorrectly.

So - never assume or take for granted.

I’ve disconnected the cables and done continuity checks they are sleeved correctly - I can only assume someone had a roll of it left over and just used it and sleeved it . I haven’t seen it used before even in switch drops

Sponsored Links
I don’t see any regulations which this contravenes. As long as it’s identified ad each connection then it’s compliant.

Cheers - Good luck to the next guy though if ever the sleeve drops off when he’s doing the DIY installing an IKEA luminaire !

I’ve disconnected the cables and done continuity checks they are sleeved correctly - I can only assume someone had a roll of it left over and just used it and sleeved it . I haven’t seen it used before even in switch drops
More likely they got to site for the first fix perhaps on Sunday morning and discovered the wholesaler gave them the wrong roll. So it's either come back for the other half of the job and hold up the plasterers, or just oversleeve!

They simply used the wrong drum of cable. Happened to an ex-boss of mine once. It wasn't fun for him belling out all of the cable apparently.

It's a mistake which I've never made.

All the twin red/ brown I have bought has had some differentiation between the conductors, so no belling out would have been necessary.
I'm surprised any is sold without.

Even if there was no intentional distinction you could look at the writing on the side where visible as it's the same way round along the whole cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back