Does cut-off water supply cause any damage to combi's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have currently had our water supply stopped by the lw authority. Evidently there has been a mains burst and an engineer has been attending to the problem for the last few hours. It should be restored within the next hour or so.

My question is can any damage be caused to a combination boiler (I thought they required at least one bar of pressure continuously?) that has been left on during the period of a cut in the water? A neighbour told me the other day that she leaves her boiler even when she is away for a few days. Crazy, I know, but there you go. The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 24cdi if it makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
the side that has a 1- 1.5 bar pressure is the rads, which is sealed, so so long as no dirt comes in you will be ok.

I wold suggest that when you get the ok, you run the downstairs cold tap for a while.

ages ago there was a burst water main near us , when water restored it was brown, for a while, so i suggest you do as mentioned

Just_back_from_the_pub said:
We have currently had our water supply stopped by the lw authority. Evidently there has been a mains burst and an engineer has been attending to the problem for the last few hours. It should be restored within the next hour or so.

My question is can any damage be caused to a combination boiler (I thought they required at least one bar of pressure continuously?) that has been left on during the period of a cut in the water? A neighbour told me the other day that she leaves her boiler even when she is away for a few days. Crazy, I know, but there you go. The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 24cdi if it makes any difference.

I leave my boiler every week when working in London or the house will freeze up.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back