Does External Gloss Not Gloss Depending When Applied ?

Joe-90

If you devoted less time to trying to emulate your hero and practicing dueling banjos on your banjo then perhaps you would have an opportunity to try age old techniques.

Adding linseed oil to paints is VERY old school, it is nothing new.

BTw tape the sixth finger to the fitth and it shouldn't get in the way so much.

Sponsored Links
Modern paints don't need any additive other than increasing the flow with tiny amounts of water or white spirit. You should go back to college.

If you guys could paint you wouldn't need all that crap. If it was necessary the manufacturer would add it at the factory.

Dunno what's happened to this painting forum of late. It's full of clueless muppets.

Totally agree with that.

Sponsored Links
White spirit can lead to blushing and the lowering of the sheen. Other than that it also thins the paint and can result in it failing prematurely.

Owatrol will not.

The school of hard knocks/ university of life might have been sufficient for the two of you but there are those of us that are willing to treat our work with the reverence that it deserves. Our clients are placing their faith in us and expect a job that is both pleasing to the eye and has longevity.

Decorating is MORE than just puttting paint on things.

Drag your knuckles if you want but some of us would rather try to understand the products that we work with.

People like WhiteVanJack come to this forum trying to expand their knowledge. He is more than able to deal with the b!tchy remarks but it might put others off. Why are you here if not to help others?

How can the manufacturer add enough of any given additive to optimise the product for all conditions? If it were optimal you would never need to add anything!

And BTW have you not noticed that since 2010 the makers have been taking many of the good things away?

I suppose what I am wondering is if there is any photolytic effect coming into play where the amount of natural sun plays a role in the deepness of the gloss finish if other factors are respected.

Rgds
Jack

opps.

Have you really answered the question? Look at it again.

So jack asked if UV light plays a role- what is wrong with that? It does to a degree, ie radiation. making things warmer.

Both you and Joe give good advice from time to time, but perhaps not as often as you would like to think...

So jack asked if UV light plays a role- what is wrong with that? It does to a degree, ie radiation. making things warmer.

Both you and Joe give good advice from time to time, but perhaps not as often as you would like to think...
Then you may like to look at my answer to him then, and by the way, if any advice I give is deemed to be incorrect, then i'm happy to retract it as I'd have learned something in the process.

If you guys could paint you wouldn't need all that crap. If it was necessary the manufacturer would add it at the factory.

Dunno what's happened to this painting forum of late. It's full of clueless muppets.

joe-90,

Been on the sauce again have we or was it "china white" today? You need help and you need it fast. The solution to your deep personal issues does not lay at the bottom of an empty glass or a line of "white lightning". Shall I get matron to pop round with her satchel?

I have no doubt that you have a lot of experience in the building trade and that you are very skilled at what you do. However, that, coupled with a high count of forum posts does not condone your actions in posting the smug and sanctimonious drivel that is your trademark.

Jack. I was awake half the night thinking up sillier questions than you post - I failed miserably and went to sleep. :p

Jack. I was awake half the night thinking up sillier questions than you post - I failed miserably and went to sleep. :p

joe-90,

I hope that I am not causing you sleepless nights, however, the "heminevrin" that I recommended earlier in the topic will assist, matron is on her way....

.. you'd better scarper before she catches you in her office again. :p :p :p

Then you may like to look at my answer to him then, and by the way, if any advice I give is deemed to be incorrect, then i'm happy to retract it as I'd have learned something in the process.

Are you really trying to tell me that you were attempting to help Jack?

The inference that I draw from your reply is that you were being intentionally obtuse and condescending.

What is the point in trying to belittle people that ask questions in a diy forum?

Jack's question is far from silly- he is questioning the effect of environmental factors on the paint finish. I am assuming that the degree of light will have little impact but i might well be wrong. My assumptions are anecdotally based, especially given that I neither know what each of the ingredients nor the complex relationship between them. Do you?

That's why you can contact the manufacturer's lab. You don't have a clue and neither do we.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back