Does horstmann economy 7 need battery to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the model says newlec NLQE7, but it’s the same as horstmann economy 7 and there’s more knowledge available about the latter.

The problem is it ticks unbelievably loudly and continues to do so if the timer is switched off. It’s in a cupboard in a temporary accommodation at the foot of my bed, so I can’t sleep. After finding the manuals, I discovered that this is because of the rechargeable battery. I suggested to the owner of the flat that the battery is removed so I can switch off the ticking at night. I assumed it’ll still work fine on mains, but after doing more research, it looks like even when connected to mains, the model needs the rechargeable battery to work or there’ll be no hot water. Is this correct?

Edit: I understand that the battery powers the clock to keep time when the mains is off. I don’t care about the time getting behind as I can reset it. I would like to know if the water would still heat at all if the rechargeable battery was removed, even if at the wrong time?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This unit: https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/horstmann-electronic-economy-7-timer-p-53.html ?

There should be noting to tick in there, a single click as it pulls in at the start of the timed period and drops out at the end of it, perhaps, but no other noises. Where in the manual did it say that the presence of the battery backup causes it to tick?

Some older designs with a mechanical time clock would tick, but the reserve in those was through a clockwork mechanism, not a battery

What about just muffling the sound with a pillow?

It’s this model:

IMG_9244.png

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It heats the water at night so if you turn it off at night you will have no hot water regardless of how it works.
I can set the timer to heat during the day, but I was wondering if the electricity is routing always through the battery irrespective of whether the mains is off or on, so the water might not heat when just connected to mains once battery is removed?

Last edited:
What about just muffling the sound with a pillow?
Thank you for the idea, I happened to have brought 3 thick pillows and a duvet to spare, so I gave it a try. It doesn’t seem to make much of a difference, so anyone else know of noise insulating materials I can temporarily put please?

Regardless of whether you take the battery out or not that timer will keep ticking as long as the electricity is on as it's electro mechanical.

If you remove the battery then as long as it's still powered on, it will continue to tic, the battery is only there as a backup to keep the clock in time (150hrs) should the power fail, so it doesn't lose time/programming until the power is restored.

The programmer needs electricity to it so it can heat the water, all it does is switch the leccy on and off to the immersion element when it's programmed to. If it gets the leccy to heat the water, then it uses that leccy to also power the clock, so it will keep ticking regardless.

Only way to shut it up is to get an insulated box around it or change it to a digital programmer
1693660896762.png

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back