Does it hurt when the umbilical is cut?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This occurred to me today: does it hurt when the umbilical cord is cut between mother and baby, and if so, who gets the hurt?

All I've been able to determine from the internet is that your basic umbilical cord has 3 blood vessels, some jelly, and a sheath. Nothing on nerves or anything.

Presumably the baby is too young to give a reasoned response, and the mother is probably smarting a bit so might not notice anyway... a bit like when you get kicked in the nuts and fall over, you don't really notice the falling over so much as the kicking in the nuts.

So does anyone know the answer? :confused:

Sponsored Links
From what I recall, the cord doesn't contain any 'pain receptors' (nerve fibres) therefore there should be no discomfort to mum or baby when it is cut :cool:

Yes, there are no nerve fibres in the umbilical, and therefore no pain is felt by mother or baby.

As some of you know, my missus had our three boys at home, and there wasn't any pain on her part, and no increased distress perceptible in the infant either

Well, some firsthand experience there. Thanks!

I was born at home also: everyone I've ever mentioned it to is surprised to hear it... apart from my mum, she was there at the time. ;)

Sponsored Links
Slightly off topic, but did you know that many of the placentas (that mum's choose not to eat
pukeface.gif
) go off to cosmetic companies? :eek:

.....well that was "interesting" I googled use of placentas----yuck

placenta lasagne????? cocktail????art on wall...yikes

Never mind the mother, everyone can eat the placenta... great iron content, freshly fried in butter before it has a chance to go cold - yumyum!

What?

You eat liver, don't you? Kidneys? Testicles? Brains? Lights? Tripe? Why not Placentas?

Plus I heard it can help prevent internal bleeding, prevent post natal depression, can stimulate breast milk and help prevent stress.

Plus it'd be an ideal way to get some nutrients into you if you didn't feel like popping to the supermarket quicksmart. :LOL:

securespark said:
Never mind the mother, everyone can eat the placenta... great iron content, freshly fried in butter before it has a chance to go cold - yumyum!

What?

You eat liver, don't you? Kidneys? ****? Brains? Lights? Tripe? Why not Placentas?

Bit too much like cannibalism for me :eek:

noodlz said:
securespark said:

What?

You eat liver, don't you? Kidneys? ****? Brains? Lights? Tripe? Why not Placentas?

Never bit your nails?

i'm not post natal....don't need my milk stimulated...don't need milk period.

and I'll smoke to relieve my stress.......

however, planting one at the base of a tree makes sense, but sounds like a bother.

notb665 said:
noodlz said:
securespark said:

What?

Never bit your nails?

Not for a meal :eek:

Can I possibly infer, maybe you been eating too much of your own poo, notty? ;)

a little "off topic" but speaking of other uses of body things (shudder)

I've worked near a pathology lab for almost 20 years now. People who have had stones removed from their kidneys, etc have requested them and turned them into jewelry, art and paperweights (doc has one set in resin on desk) to each his own..... :)

securespark said:

What?

but they are usually not of human origin :) did you wash it down with a good chianti? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back