Does look okay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am in the middle of of retiling my bathroom as the previous tiles which were tiled over the original tiles were all loose as you know from my previous posts on here, i have reboarded all the walls with moisture resistant plasterboard and have made a start on shower wall, however i have discovered a major problem that half of the tile boxes are from a different batch so the sizes varied by 3mm which has put the job to a stop and has ****ed me off, the tiles on the shower wall as you will see on the pictures are actually 200x253mm instead of being 200x250 as they say on their box, the other batch are the correct size but obviously there is a 3mm difference with is a life time where tiles are concerned and the finish would never look right.
However now i am considering ditching the tiling if i cannot get same batch as the tiles on the shower wall, if i can't get them annoyingly i will probably have to take them all off but if that is the case i will just get wall panels. This has really ****ed me why are they not all the same size they say on their boxes? Both boxes despite being from different batches say they are 250x200 so that is the size i am expecting them to be! But no half are 3mm bigger how on earth am i supposed to work with this?

Anyway this is where got with the tiling before i had to stop, this is the shower wall i have tiled be brutality honest how does this tiling look from a professionals point of view is it acceptable or just an eyesore bear in mind its obviously not grouted yet i am curious to know? This is my first time at tiling a bathroom btw.
ATTACH]200900[/ATTACH]
20200803_235708.jpg 20200803_235803.jpg 20200803_235854.jpg Thanks

Attachments

• 20200803_235644.jpg
    20200803_235644.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 20200803_235803.jpg
    20200803_235803.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks fine - It will look so much better once grouted too.
What about tiling the other wall in a totally different tile style? Or do the wall with a showerboard?

Always bit hard to tell from photos, but it looks fine so far to me and I'm dead picky about tiling!

Thanks i appreciated it, if i cannot get the same batch from the shower tiles, then i will likely just get wall panels for the main wall and use the remaining tiles from the boxes that are the same batch as shower wall for the window wall so it could be a bit of a mix between tiles and panels. i guess you get what you pay with this stuff but it is still hugely frustrating. The tiles should be the size they say and not vary by a few mil here and there which makes spacing a nightmare and throws the levels off!,
Hopefully i can get the same batch, i have just Googled and apparently batch variation is a huge issue but of course as a first time tiler i was not aware.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks i appreciated it, if i cannot get the same batch from the shower tiles, then i will likely just get wall panels for the main wall and use the remaining tiles from the boxes that are the same batch as shower wall for the window wall so it could be a bit of a mix between tiles and panels. i guess you get what you pay with this stuff but it is still hugely frustrating. The tiles should be the size they say and not vary by a few mil here and there which makes spacing a nightmare and throws the levels off!,
Hopefully i can get the same batch, i have just Googled and apparently batch variation is a huge issue but of course as a first time tiler i was not aware.
thanks

You should try handmade tiles, they're a real PITA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back