does metal stud affect consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm sorting some plastering in our cellar using metal stud so that we can pass cables etc behind without issue.

As an afterthought i wondered if there is any issue in having metal stud right next to the consumer unit- does it pose any interference with the electrics (im talking the power, electricity rather than physical interferance)

on the side closest the edge there just physically isn't the room to move it further away, its not touching the conusmer unit- but is only about 15mm away

N.b i'm not touching any of the electrics and the stud is well away from all wires and connections.

Attachments

• IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
There are rules about hiding wires less than 50 mm and safe zones, but with cables, not singles, what your doing above and below consumer unit would comply, but some of the cable to left will not be in safe zones.

AFAIK the studwork needs earthing too? (someone will confirm)

The regulations I viewed advised you were ok as long as cables were 50mm below the surface- if not then you had to cover it with some protection.

is that not the case- I made sure there’s a min of 5cm between surface and cables

Sponsored Links
The regulations I viewed advised you were ok as long as cables were 50mm below the surface- if not then you had to cover it with some protection.
Not quite. The regulations are very specific on what is required for cables that are ruin out of the recognised zones.

"Cover with some protection" doth not butter any parsnips. The cable must be of a specific type. ie with an earthed screen, such as steel wire armoured cable, or run in earthed steel conduit. A bit of flimsy aluminium, or even metal cable capping does not comply.

Not quite. The regulations are very specific on what is required for cables that are ruin out of the recognised zones.

"Cover with some protection" doth not butter any parsnips. The cable must be of a specific type. ie with an earthed screen, such as steel wire armoured cable, or run in earthed steel conduit. A bit of flimsy aluminium, or even metal cable capping does not comply.

yeah ok, my comment on 'cover with protections' was a bit flippant- i meant proper earthed steel covering.

here is the summary of guidance i found form this page - Electrical Safe Zones for Running Cables Through Walls and Under Floors | DIY Doctor

Sometimes it is not possible to run cables in these zones. It is allowed so long as the following guidelines are followed:

1. The cable must be over 50mm below the surface. If the wall is made from metal then it will need RCD protection, or
  2. The cable should be armoured with an earthed armour or metal sheath, or
  3. The cable should be in metal trunking or conduit which is earthed or,
  4. It should have protection from at least 3mm steel
all the cables i have look to be covered by these as they either:
1)fall under the safe zones- directly above, below or horizontally with the units
2)fall into safety zones of within 150 mm of corners
3) are a min of 5cm below the surface- these will all be 60-70 below the finished wall.

if someone believes this not to be the case- can you confirm why from the pic.

separately- this seems to have digressed from the original question.
i am trying to find an electrician, but general excuses seem to be:

1)not worth my time for something like that
2) not wanting to get involved as they've never touched the installation.

Emma Shaw's death was an eye opening account of what can happen. As with all accidents there were many errors, electrician, plasterer, plumber, electricians mate, electrical foreman, all made errors. But it was the metal used which allowed the electric to travel from where a loop of cable was left to the water Emma was standing in.

Many things could have stopped it, RCD, earthed stud work, using glue on tun dish, and also correct immersion heater with over temperature cut out. It does not matter really who the court decided was at fault, they all knew their actions caused her death.

When I had my accident it was one of the two people who were responsible who seemed to suffer the worst, even if not blamed the guy felt it was his fault and was close to a mental breakdown as a result. Work done 2006 accident 2007 and court case finished 2014. That is a long time for it to be hanging around your head. Errors like not following safe routes are not checked with an EICR so errors can come back to bite you 25 years latter.

Emma Shaw's death was an eye opening account of what can happen. As with all accidents there were many errors, electrician, plasterer, plumber, electricians mate, electrical foreman, all made errors. But it was the metal used which allowed the electric to travel from where a loop of cable was left to the water Emma was standing in.

Many things could have stopped it, RCD, earthed stud work, using glue on tun dish, and also correct immersion heater with over temperature cut out. It does not matter really who the court decided was at fault, they all knew their actions caused her death.

When I had my accident it was one of the two people who were responsible who seemed to suffer the worst, even if not blamed the guy felt it was his fault and was close to a mental breakdown as a result. Work done 2006 accident 2007 and court case finished 2014. That is a long time for it to be hanging around your head. Errors like not following safe routes are not checked with an EICR so errors can come back to bite you 25 years latter.

no ones said not to do it- especially not me, i'm intent on making sure this is safe and compliant - hence asking the questions

... Sometimes it is not possible to run cables in these zones. It is allowed so long as the following guidelines are followed: ...
The problem with that is; the cables were run safely (visible on the surface), now you are hiding them.

Imagine in n number of years all that lot covered over, would you expect a cable just there where you want to drill a hole ?
How does that CU get replaced (for one that is ½" wider, one 3" narrower (will be pants) or one with a different cover design) ?

The problem with that is; the cables were run safely (visible on the surface), now you are hiding them.

Imagine in n number of years all that lot covered over, would you expect a cable just there where you want to drill a hole ?
How does that CU get replaced (for one that is ½" wider, one 3" narrower (will be pants) or one with a different cover design) ?

Im lost as to your need to post, i completely agree that the issue is they weren't hidden now they will be- hence the point i've made all the way through that i don't know how many times i can say......

I WANT THIS TO BE COMPLIANT AND SAFE!!!!!!

ive never said anything different- and no one has advised of anything that is'nt safe that they can see.

how does the CU get replaced- same as any- you make the hole slightly bigger or cover up around it- thats all asthetics- but i'm really not worried about something that may or may not happen in 5-10,15 years time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back