Does my garage have 2x4 joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to hang some shelving in the garage suspended from the ceiling. The garage is attached and supports one of the 2nd floor bedrooms.

The garage has sheetrock throughout the walls and ceiling and the only place I can physically see the joists are in the front 10ish foot section (nearest the garage door) which supports a tiny attic space and there are 2x4 joists spaced every 24" oriented where the 4" (3 1/2") side is vertical running side to side (not front to back). When taking a stud finder underneath the 1/2" sheetrock, the 2"(1 1/2") section seems to be verified. 1/2"-5/8" sheetrock installed here.

Where the 10~ foot mini attic ends, there is a large joist (12" tall) and insulation separating where the 2nd floor bedroom begins.

In looking at the drywall tape and float, the same 24" spacing occurs throughout the garage. However, in the ceiling underneath the bedroom, the stud finder reveals a wider joist (~4"). I tried drilling a pilot hole through near the center and the bit punched clear through after about 2" which to me says it went through the 1/2" sheetrock and then the flat end of a 2x4. In taking the stud finder to various other sections of the ceiling, I get the same reading that indicates a 2x4 laid on its side every 24".

The house is 11 years old by a major builder in Texas and has not gone through any renovations (to my knowledge). There are several other houses with similar designs in the neighborhood.

Is it even possible a house was built with 2x4s laid flat in a load bearing garage. Wouldn't the upstairs room show at least some sagging? There's not even a creak you can hear.

Please help!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If it's load bearing then it's unlikely to have been constructed with 2x4's laid on their sides. It could be that some new 2x4's were attached in that orientation to the underside of the original joists in order to reboard the ceiling, whilst probably adding insulation, as many properties have a very cold room(s) above their garages.

Can you tell if the garage ceiling is 2"-3" lower than the rest of the ceilings, as this may confirm my theory?

(BTW, I'm new to the States, so still learning, but this seems to be a common thing that is done.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back