Does my old Ideal 'E' Type boiler need more gas pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since having a new gas meter fitted, our boiler will not fully ignite. Could it be that the new gas meter does not put out sufficient pressure? It's got a label on it showing a meterage pressure of 21 or 29 Mb (can't remember which) but we think that our boiler may need a pressure of 50 Mb.
Can anyone offer an opinion on this?

Sponsored Links
what do you mean fully ignite... if it is natural gas then 21mbar is corect and no way your boiler needs 50mb try looking at data badge again

If you had just the gas meter replaced then this should make no difference.

If the govenor was replaced as well then this should have had the working pressure checked at that time.

Interesting point Dave but the goveror installers dont always check the WP because they sometimes leave the gas supply off until a CORGi has checked the situation inside the property.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Apart from the fact that you will not get 50mb on a domestic Natural gas installation..it's a cap off and isolate at the meter at 23mb and above.

Until a few years ago all governor installations were set at 8.3" water gauge or the equivalent 20.5 mb by the Gas Board, Transco or whatever they are now called this week ( many weren't set due to lazy Gas board engineers or their contractors)

Over the last few years whatever the gas carriers are called these days have claimed that they are now allowed to have a parameter of between 19mb and 23mb at the meter and as such, working pressures at the meter are not set and their engineers are instructed not to adjust factory set governors.

This is of course a nonsense policy and 21.5mb upwards working pressure at the meter screws up pressures at ungoverned appliances such as fires etc.

The council that we contract too now has hundreds of bbu fire fronts and independent fires turned of due to over gassing.

Getting back to the original post I can only guess at blocked burner or sticking gas valve if there is a reasonable pressure at the meter.

Every new govenor that I have had fitted, thats loads for me, has been set up by the NG engineer, usually after asking me if I want more than 21mbar. I usually ask them to set at 22mbar.

Never had one that was fitted without being checked.

Why would any local authority allow hundreds of appliances to lay idle with all the hasle tenants would give them purely for the sake of a phone call.NG guys would love a nice easy job like that.

And there is no policy not to adjust governors providing they are within limit set by Corgi..

As a time served gas engineer i find it is a stupid rule not to allow us to adjust them , but when you see some of the things Cogi registered guys call NG out for it is no wonder corgi have imposed this rule

Lets be honest, if corgi fitters were allowed to adjust them, a lot of blokes would be cranking governors up as far as possible to try to overcome their undersized gas pipes! Not that I would ever consider such a heinous act.

Me too chris never touched one since i have worked for myself :eek: even after doing thousand for the board. ;)

Apart from the fact that you will not get 50mb on a domestic Natural gas installation..it's a cap off and isolate at the meter at 23mb and above.

Trundles, can you advise where you got this information from please. I was under the assumption that any standing pressure over 30mb had to be called in to NGN.

Who's to say we can't adust them then call it in for a seal missing and book it in on a 21 day appointment ;)

WE always used to laugh about people saying there is no seal. Believe me no one gave a damm about seals .We ued to take them off and no one repeat no one used to replace them NGguy just laugh at no seal callouts

I did an LSC a week ago and for the first time ever I reported the supply as over pressured!

It was 24.5 mB at the meter on a 28 kW load.

I could have broken the seal and reset it but as the landlady was going to be there for a while she was happy to wait for them.

Tony

If a J88 is a regulator then I dont know!

It was difficult to reach as the top was only about 20 mm below the shelf!

But it was the adjustable type with a flat screw on cap with two raised eyes for the seal which was in place.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back