Does my old Ideal 'E' Type boiler need more gas pressure

Yes Tony it is a Govenor. These have to be replaced upon being found and they have a tendancy to run with high WP.

Also the G910 and an old Donkyn has to be replaced as well when discovered.

Sponsored Links
Namsag do you seriously think that ourselves or the council would turn off hundreds of firefronts because we can't be bothered to make a phonecall?

The Transporters in South Wales (Wales and West) refuse to respond to any call to alter governor Working pressures if they are within the range 19mb - 23mb. They say (quite falsely) that the governors are non adjustable.

A friendly Wales and West engineer on site will almost always alter the governor if asked.

As an ex British Gas engineer myself I am well aware of how to alter the governor pressure but if we are not supposed to be allowed to touch such things then who am I to argue or take a stand?

Giblet

You are referring to standing pressure...above 30mb is a cap off.

Working pressure cap off is above 23mb.

So when you make the phonecall why not jut say high pressure and not the figure they then send somebody and it will then be adjusted. Happy tenant . Also if it is that bad council should be kickin up a fuss

As for independent fires being left off why not just screw in the restrictor elbow to offer a resistance and you will get 20mb at fire this does work

The council that we contract too now has hundreds of bbu fire fronts and independent fires turned of due to over gassing.

I suspect it was a great excuse to keep the servicing cost down and at the same time reduce the CO incidents. Afterall councils and the sub-contracting nonsense have been responsible for a significant number of CO deaths.

I've disconnected council fires that have had several contract engineers tags tied on over the years but have never come off the wall.

Sponsored Links
Because

a) Why should we have to?

b) The engineers as often as not will just fit a new governor without adjustment leaving us in the same position. We often have undergassed fires/fronts due to a faulty governor, call out Wales and West who fit a new governor without adjustment as they have been instructed to do, we recall and are then faced with leaving fire off due to overgassing.

c) I don't intend to start governing fire pressures by restricting supply through restrictor elbows or undersizing pipes. Also in certain circumstances pressure will drop at fire when combi or other boiler comes on if this is done

We both know that it's a ridiculous situation caused mainly by a ludicrous policy from the gas carrier.

Our problems really started after being audited by CORGI services who have rampaged about causing mayhem without considering that perfect conditions in a workshop bay very rarely apply in practice out in the field.

In one infamous episode recently the Corgi inspector actually lit a smoke pellet in a cavity wall under a 20 year old Ideal Mexico after finding a small gap not cemented up on the inside wall under the square flue outlet (outside wall around terminal was totally sealed)

The flat was completely filled with smoke as he vainly tried to find some sort of break in the flue or passage to the outside wall.

Gasguru

As an ex British gas engineer with 30 odd years experience I'm well aware of the appalling standards within the gas industry over each and every year of that experience.

Corgi for me are as complicit in the continued disgracefully low standards as anyone.

The majority of gas engineers appearing with a Corgi badges that I see these days tell me that they completed a 3 or 4 week gas course at the end of a NVQ plumbing qualification.

They even tell me that BBUs are not even covered any more during this ludicrously short time.

To say that I'm a trifle alarmed would be the understatement of the year!

We honestly don`t have a problem around my way with NG engineers nothing to do with the fact we all still meet up in the cafe each morning. :LOL: .. They sit with laptops on and we see the jobs coming down and all my mates say is Yes doddle job 2 sugars in mine i can sit a bit longer.. They eally don`t mind those jobs.

Theres no problem round here either, as you say namsag, they just say 'we like these easy and quick jobs'.

Most of them who come out to me usually laugh and say 'when I saw it was you put the call in I knew it would be a simple by the book job :LOL: '

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back