does my system need to be drained to fit trvs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i need 4 rads to have their normal valves replaced with trvs. the company who have quoted to do it say that our system will need to be drained to do this. the system will then need to be refilled and all the air removed and because this can be time consuming (we have 18 rads in total) they have quoted for 8 hours work. they are a reputable company.

a friend has since told me that they had a couple of trvs fitted and it didnt necessitate having their system drained and that the job was done in 2 hours.

should i go with the first company or am i needlessly spending extra money? how long could/should 4 trvs take?

sensible replies please, no arguments or digressing ;)

Sponsored Links
You have to drain the rads to fit new trv`s so the system will be drained if the yare doing the whole house

Depends on were the drops are, i would drain one rad at a time myself, but it all depends on the pipe layout

Sponsored Links
It is really best to drain down first but does depend on type of system and size of pipework.
Eg if its a pressurised system then drain down is a must.
If it's tank fed system and 8mm pipe then it's possible to do live or bung the tank to cause an airlock.
How much are they charging you?

Depending on system there maybe no need to drain system at all, have they looked at it .

Even draining it 8 hours seems very excessive.

How much have they quoted

Its a sealed system.

They are charging £27 per hour inc vat which seemed like a good price but seems costly for a days work. Dont plumbers usually have a more cost effective daily rate? Its a bit tricky as I work for a subsidary of the company in question and this is a staff discounted rate. But i still feel its pricey.

Thing is that i could end up paying a local plumber to do it and even if he didnt drain down the system it could be a similar price (£40ph for 4h min work... ends up taking 5h as there are complications... you know the score) I live in a Home County so its £££ to get anything done round here :rolleyes:

?

should be no complications with a sealed system mate.
Drain down, change valves , refill & remove air. Piece of cake.
Get another quote

Sealed system no need to drain it an hours work at most 2 would be stretching it

4 Trv's in 8 hrs! what a con. 2/3 hrs at most and as its a sealed system very little water should be lost.Has no one heard of freezer kits.

Its sealed so why the need for a freezer kit ?
Simple close any auto airvent release the pressure and the system is vacumed up same as bungs on open vented only better

Its sealed so why the need for a freezer kit ?
Simple close any auto airvent release the pressure and the system is vacumed up same as bungs on open vented only better

Blimey - does that work? I'll have to give that a go next time I need to fiddle with one of my rads! Does that trick depend on a certain type/diameter of plumbing? eg plastic vs copper, 15mm vs 22mm?

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back