does my watertank in the loft need to be covered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does my watertank in the loft need to be covered?
my watertank is in the loft and it has no cover does it need one?

Sponsored Links
depends on your loft

if it gets very cold then yes, and if you do cover it, dont cover the bottom or below it, heat rising will midly help not freezing

Do you mean covered as in insulated? or covered as in doesn't have a lid?

Covers, of any description also stop things like birds and mice from getting into the tank and causing potential blockages.

Sponsored Links
I had a new tank put in last year and the current regs require the tank to be covered. New tanks come with matching lids. The oveflow pipe is connected with some sort of fly screen gadget. The expansion pipe coming in through the lid also has to be dust sealed with a gromet.

sorry i mean does it need a lid on top
it is already insulated.

the reason i ask is because i have condensation in my loft
and i am trying to think of every possibility of why this is happening.

i have cleared out the eves
the loft is very cold.
i have a 2 bed house, but my bathroom does not have a window.
it does have a extractor which leads into a pipe through the loft.
i have checked this out and that seems fine as well.

Yup, it needs a plastic lid........getting the right one is not so easy.....take the measurements to a plumbers merchant or Wickes

if you have condensation in your loft then you do not have adequate ventilation. In an ideal situation your loft will be as cold as outside.
You may need to install soffit vents or something similar.

edmond said:
my bathroom does not have a window.
it does have a extractor which leads into a pipe through the loft.

Do you mean the steam from the bathroom is blown into the loft, or do you mean the duct runs through the loft and then passes out through the eaves or roof?

If the steam is just blown into the loft it is sure to cause condensation and damp.

BTW no use insulating the sides of the tank and leaving the top open.

we r not told if this is a domestic hot water or a heating cistern. If its DHW do u use immersion heaters to heat the hot water,

as mentioned earlier - you need to ensure adequate ventilation - this should mean cross ventilation, i.e. air flowing through the loft space from one side to the other. To help the situation you should also ensure you have secured the loft hatch also, use some dp around the edge to give a better seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back