Does Neighbour's Cable Running Across Garden Need Armouring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a fence made of fencing panels between our house and a neighbours. They have installed a PIR controlled light at one end of this fence, and the black mains cable is clipped along the bottom of the panels a few inches above ground level. At the other end of this fence, the cable just drops to ground level and runs along the earth before disappearing into their garden.

Putting aside the fact that they neither asked our permission to put the cable on our side, or asked permission to enter our garden to do the work, is this installation safe and to current regs? To me, a standard cable running along a fence then across the garden is dangerous, and could easily be accidently cut.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have they clipped the cable on your side so they can't see it?
If not, how does the cable get to your side?

In any case, I know what I'd do!

I'd tell them where to put it!! Bit of a cheek running it on your side without your knowledge and damaging your fence.
Yes, the cable should be armoured or similar - especially if it is run in an area subject to impact.

I take it that the work was notified to the Local Authority Building Control beforehand (and a fee paid) or carried out by a member of a competent person scheme as it is notifiable under Part P of the building regs?

Quite ironic if the work was carried out by a member of a competent persons scheme!

Sponsored Links
I somehow doubt they have even thought about part p before installing it, sounds like a DIY lash up.
Some photos would be nice ;)

Have they clipped the cable on your side so they can't see it?
If not, how does the cable get to your side?

In any case, I know what I'd do!

Yes they have. Although the fence is down the side of our house, about 3 feet from our wall. We don't go down there much.

It's the safety thing which is more of a worry. Live cables trailing over the ground!

These people have been a pain since they moved in 2 yrs ago.

Will post some pics.

You need to politely ask them to move it or you'll speak to Building Control regarding the more than likely un-notified and dangerous installation.

Cheeky forkers! I suppose it could get accidentally damaged while your out sweeping your side. Just saying 'n all! ;)

jeff

I think if some one was not playing ball I would tend to do same in reverse and would be ringing the local authority building control and asking if a completion certificate had been issued for the work.

However as to danger the main cable feeding most houses is not steel wire armoured although it is constructed in a way so if a spade goes through it then should fail safe although I would not rely on that.

So can't really say all outside cable should be SWA although that's what I would use. Reading this PDF from Blagdon is interesting as it seems to say since their produce is pre-made you can fit it under the Part P rules without informing the LABC.

I personally have misgiving about the produce and I am not sure if it really complies or not but it is what looks like a standard black flex. The system is RCD protected so likely safe. (Assuming instructions are followed)

Likely the whole installation is breaking Part P law but thought I should point out there are loop holes.

Any new flex is unlikely to be a problem in real terms but as time goes on it will degrade. All outside cables are black because the sun light will degrade other colours quicker. Well there are exceptions like fire alarm cables but not in general use.

I would post pictures wait for reaction and if most on here think it's wrong phone council. Only reason I say wait is in case it's a Blagdon thing.

The left hand photo shows where the cable crossed from their side, then runs all along bottom of fence.

The right photo shows the end of fence along the side of our house. You can just make out the security light on top of the furthest post.

Thanks for advice so far.

If people can walk along that path between the fence and the wall then that cable is not safely installed.

Whether the person can install it there ( even though un-safe ) depends on who owns the fence and the land it is on. The fence may be a few inches on their side of the dividing line between your property and their property in which case they can fit the cable where they have done as technically it is on their side of the boundary. Even going onto you property to maintain the fence may be allowed in the deeds.

If people can walk along that path between the fence and the wall then that cable is not safely installed.

Whether the person can install it there ( even though un-safe ) depends on who owns the fence and the land it is on. The fence may be a few inches on their side of the dividing line between your property and their property in which case they can fit the cable where they have done as technically it is on their side of the boundary. Even going onto you property to maintain the fence may be allowed in the deeds.

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clear a few things up. It's not actually used as a path, although you can physically walk down this gap between our house and the fence. Our drive and link-detached garage are on the other side of the house.

The fence line is ours, and so is the narrow strip of land. When these neighbours moved in, there were just some old fence posts marking the boundary, but they decided they would like a fence there. They paid for and erected the fence.

The cable is technically on our side, but it's more the installation I'm worried about, ie. live cables lying on the ground.

The neighbour is a Gassafe plumber. :rolleyes:

You could always thank your neighbour for the free electricity supply :evil:
Guaranteed to get it disconnected promptly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back