Does part P go far enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think Part P is a bit bizzare, it because it dosn't allow you do things like put an alarm wire in a bathroom (I can't see how that would cause problems) on the other hand as far as I am aware you it does allow you to add an extra socket spur from a ring?

From my limited knowledge you have to test that the spur you want to make is not already final circuit, or indeed another spur, you need to use the correct cable and then test that its all safe and that the earth is good enough.

I have an ethernet cable under the end of the bathroom floor (it was the easiest route) and it seems this is ilegal?

So it seems they may as well just go the entire hog and say unless you have xx qualifications you are not even allowed to wire a plug!

Sponsored Links
Isnt it time the people responsible for part P showed some proof that it is doing what its meant to do - save lives / stop fires etc?

Has the accident/fire/death rate due to electrical work in the home decreased due to part P now it is in effect?

Personally I think part P is very ill conceived, poorly implemented, crazy, insulting and a money making scheme designed to keep those with money, in money. Its little to do with safety...

Yep and many of us may be a lot less inclinded to make things safer because it would breach part P, where as exetension leads would not.

If I was in power I would make things simple, you can replace like for like fittings, do any work on alarm or telephone circuits but you cannot modify or fit a different type of fitting to any existing circuits, add a new circuit etc without it being signed of by a proper sparkie.

It just seems a bit mad that you can legally fix a car without any qualifications (messing up the brakes can just as bad wiring a new CU with no earth!) both could lead to death.

The problem with Part P is it is just far too confusing.

With gas its simple, touch it without a Corgi cert and you face prison.

Sponsored Links
on the other hand as far as I am aware you it does allow you to add an extra socket spur from a ring?

From my limited knowledge you have to test that the spur you want to make is not already final circuit, or indeed another spur, you need to use the correct cable and then test that its all safe and that the earth is good enough.

Although Part P may allow you to do such work, it doesn't force you to do it. If you don't think you have the relevant skills, experience and tools, your friendly neighbourhood Sparkyman is just a phone call away.

I think alot of mechanics are calling for licensing now and I really dont think it will be long before some kind of part p type thing will govern everything and anything thats the system for you bless it.All about watching you and what you do dont you just love the police state we live in

With gas its simple, touch it without a Corgi cert and you face prison.

Totally wrong. DIY gas work on your own premises is perfectly legal so long as you are competent to do so and comply with The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations 1998.

The requirement for CORGI registration is when you are doing work for other people on a paid basis.

Yep and many of us may be a lot less inclinded to make things safer because it would breach part P, where as exetension leads would not.

If I was in power I would make things simple, you can replace like for like fittings, do any work on alarm or telephone circuits but you cannot modify or fit a different type of fitting to any existing circuits, add a new circuit etc without it being signed of by a proper sparkie.
Those two statements appear to be completely at odds with each other.

All very well for those who have money to spare.

Part P tells me that I can't, for example, install an outside light because I haven't been to college and paid to get my qualification.

Alternatively it tells me that I have to pay a fee to building control - money that I don't have.

The system does not acknowledge that I can be responsible enough to gather the knowledge needed to do such a job, then do the job safely.

And part P isn't going to stop those who don't care about doing a good job anyway. They're just going to carry on regardless.

It's a good job I don't need an outside light.

I guess there needs to be some kind of self signing system, where a home owner can sign it off, on it they would have to show correct calculations regarding cable size, they would have to show how they have tested it etc.

I don't agree with Part P but agree there needs to be laws.

I used to love doing electric work but just don't any more as its not worth the hassle.

If building control charges were reasonable (or free :)) I'd have no problem with it.

Say my hypothetical outside light costs me £30 in materials and my own labour is free. I've just clicked to the labc calculator on my local council's website, and the fee would be.... £117.50!

And that's the problem.

If it were, say, £15 to have a fairly small job inspected - a bathroom light, spur in kitchen, etc - then there'd be lots less illegal and dangerous electrical work going on.

I suspect that there aren't enough inspectors though. And who would pay them?

Hands up all those home DIYers that have all of the test equipment to satisfy the requirements of BS7671, EWR1989 etc. In addition, that have the training, knowledge and experience to use such equipment? Inaddition, they have (or have access to) the relevant publications.

How many?

The worse type of DIYer is someone who is lashing up a house just before they sell it. Any dangers, problems etc. are likely to be revealed after the new owners have settled in.

That kind of deliberate sabotage deserves severe punishment. Anyone who does PIRs can testify to the handywork of the DIYer who thought he knew what he was doing.

Now, I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush...

And that answer no points that he has made.

it is still over £100+ just to let the LABC know that he's fitting an outside light, which does not include (according to the LABC's) the further fee that they want to come & test it.

Yes I know that the part P doc says it should

So for his £30 light it will likely cost him in excess of £200 in order to have it checked, signed for, certified etc.
Which is why it just aint gonna happen :D

Until one day when the house has to be sold by him or by a solicitor in a will and thats when the fun will begin and the HIP will be asked for

Hands up all those home DIYers that have all of the test equipment to satisfy the requirements of BS7671, EWR1989 etc. In addition, that have the training, knowledge and experience to use such equipment? Inaddition, they have (or have access to) the relevant publications.
istockphoto_2447147_raised_hand.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back