PLUMBERS AND PART P WHATS THE TRUTH.. ANYONE??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a corgi reg Gas engineer but prefer to do my owen wiring ie:
wiring in boilers either off an existing fused switch or adding a spur to the exisitng ring.

However i am not sure exactly what i am legally allowed to do, i have only basic electrical qualifications nothing major however i am trying to find out about Part P Limited scope which may helsp me.

Anyone out there know anything that maybe of help to me.

Sponsored Links
i have had a search but nothing really answers my question, they all tend to be specific to a certain job

Sponsored Links
Hi from another corgi engineer.

I have the part P and have registered under corgis electrical scheme.
I understand that the part P relates to electrical work that is necessary for you to complete the job, in your case wiring in boilers ovens etc. What you cant do is just wire in a new spur or ring without there being a need for you to do so in conjunction with your normal work scope (hence its defined scope name i suppose!)
example part P competant plumber installing new shower can run the cable needed back to the consumer unit and self certify (as long as registered as competant under one of the schemes) can even replace consumer unit if necessary.
I personally wouldnt change the consumer unit as this means playing with the meter tails and I understand that this is a very grey area.

PArt P is a stop gap only to bring electrical work under the scope of the building regs. I have been told by various men in the industry that within the next ten years to qualify as competant you will have to have done the full 17th ed, inspection and testing as covered by a city and guilds qualifcation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back