Does pedestal give support to basin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new basin & pedestal installed. Is the pedestal intended to be just cosmetic, or offer some support to basin as well? The pedestal is loosely in position and can be moved easily within the recess at the underside of basin and at at floor level. It is not sealed or seated by plumber in any way. What should I expect to see? Advice appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
no expert mate, but it's really used 2 fold - to hide the trap / pipework etc + yes also to provide some support...........although the sink fixings are more then enough to hold it (if he's used the correct one's).

I fitted my own sink recently + the pedestal doesn't move............it sits nice + snug. I'm guessin that ur installer didn't mark up the sink correctly prior to drilling.

I would disagree!

The pedistal is to take the weight if anyone sits on the basin! Yes they do sometimes!

The wall fixing is to locate and steady the basin and will support it without the pedistal while the pipework is being fitted.

The correct fixing is the double ended Fisher bolt type and not just the screw that many people use.

Tony

Some manufacturers state that the pedestal must offer no support at all to the basin.

Fischer is just a manufacturer, all sorts of makes are available of the type of fixing you need.
Something like this:
Antaresfixing1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ive only fitted a couple so im no expert but I normaly ensure the wallfixings are sufficient to hold the basin in position by theirselves, and that the basin sits as firmly and securely as possible on the pedestal to offer extra support, then I silicone around the top and bottom of the pedestal.

Wall fixings alone to support a basin???? Not something I'd try. I worry about those little hand wash basins with the metal brackets.
Re: Original post. I wouldn't expect the pedestal to be too loose. Usually some screw holes at the base to fix through. A bit silicone where it meets the basin would help also.

pedestals are used to take the forward weight of the basin so its rest easily on the the pedestal without raising the basin level or moving the rear lower edge from the wall.

logic in this is to assist in the pedestals primary purpose of decoration without safety being impeded by movement of the upper end of the pedestal unit that may cause damage to the lower end resulting in breakage and otherwise injury to users.

personally i think its a daft question where logic should have kicked in :rolleyes:

Agile said:
I would disagree!

The pedistal is to take the weight if anyone sits on the basin! Yes they do sometimes!

The wall fixing is to locate and steady the basin and will support it without the pedistal while the pipework is being fitted.

The correct fixing is the double ended Fisher bolt type and not just the screw that many people use.

Tony

again safety is its function as agile indicates

Gravity acts only downwards, so any wall fixings will be acting as a lever trying to hold the basin up. I would not trust a plasterboard wall to hold a basin, and that is how they are fixed in most instances. Therefore as Agile points out, the pedestal supports the load. Any exclusion clause by the manufacturer should have alarm bells ringing, and should indicate it's time to look for another model. Cosmetic appearance is one point to consider, but it shouldn't be the overriding one. The bottom and top of the pedestal should be bedded properly to spread the load.

I wouldn't fit a wall only mounted basin to plasterboard, it's engineering stupidity, and I wouldn't be too happy about fixing it to anything else either.

If I had a solid wall and wanted to fit a fancy basin only supported on the wall then that would be OK as long as I did not come home drunk and fall onto the basin.

Or as long as Martha did not feel dizzy and fall against it.

However, put tenants in a house and normal behavour goes out of the window!

Tony

I have fitted hundreds of 22x16 whb on towel rail brackets for local authority houses !!

likewise on RAF camps for PSA!!

If you get a proper fixing no problem!!

Many basins have only 2 small screwholes which are meant to hold back to wall not support!!

If a pedestal is supplied it makes common sense to use it for support!!

Thanks to all for helpful comments. I had the plumber back (to fix the newly installed leaking shower tray) and asked him how he had fixed the basin to wall (tile/plaster/breezeblock). His answer was "just silicone - like they do in all new-build houses these days". Hearing the sound of his spurs jingling, I simply got him to silicon-seal the pedestal to the basin and waved him off into the sunset before he did any more damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back