Re-plumbing bathroom basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am replaceing the basin and pedestal in my bathroom as part of a revamp, but I want to install the new basin about 10-20cm to the right of the existing one, to provide a bit more space between the bath and the basin.

The existing basin is connected to the water supply by two vertical copper pipes that rise straight up out of the floorboards, so these would need changing somehow if I want to put the new basin in a slightly different position.

I am redoing the vinyl floor tiles as part of the renovation, so have no problem with getting under the floorboards.

I am not skilled enough (nor have the required tools) to solder pipework, so I am thinking of compression or pushfit plumbing.

My first question is... should I consider making the alterations to the existing pipework below floor level, so that the pipes then rise from the floor in the correct location? I think this would look much neater, but potentially be more problematic in future years if there are any leaky joins as access would be difficult.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, what are my options for changing the pipework so I can plumb the new basin in a different locations? I'm thinking...

- Put some corner/L shaped joins to create a 'dog-leg' in the pipework, using compression joins and copper pipes
- cut off the existing copper pipes below floor level and attach flexible metal hosing up to the tap connectors.
- cut off the copper pipes below floor level and use plastic push-fit or compression joins, and then flexible plastic hosing to the taps

I plumbed in a new kitchen last year so I have some basic experience with plumbing but far from profficient, so really i'm a bit of a beginner at this kind of DIY.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Tom

Sponsored Links
I would always try to make compression joints accessible, so I would prefer any joints made within inaccessible areas to be soldered.
As far as any alteration in the future, that would depend if you intend to lift up the floor again to do this, if so, I would not be concerned with making any provisions for this.

If you don't want or are not equipped to solder then try and complete the joints above floor. The last thing you want is a joint weeping under there.

Best option is to use flexible tap connectors to join the existing pipework above floor and connect the basin.

Compression is best but if you want to use pushfit then ensure that you use a pipe slice to create a chamfered edge, lube with a silicon grease, ensure it is all the way in and then pull back on the fitting/pipe.

Does your basin only have 2 pipes?
Strangely, mine has 3.

Sponsored Links
The OP only seems concerned about H&C pipes. Some jiggery-pokery will need to be done to the waste.

Moving a basin 10 to 20cm will leave the waste in full view.

Hi there, I suggest you you alter the existing pipe work below floor level to make it more organize. Then make sure you double check everything so that future problems can be minimize or even avoided.

For your second question I chose this:

- Put some corner/L shaped joins to create a 'dog-leg' in the pipework, using compression joins and copper pipes

I hope this helps. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back