New basin install but old metal (copper) waste piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fititng a new basin in our bathroom. Just a basin as it is all chipped.

But I have one slight problem that I am unsure of. The waste pipe from the basin (and bath for that matter) is in metal (looks like copper).

If I cut this close to the basin, can I use a push-fit/compression type waste on the copper and with new plastic the other side? I have installed a bath basin and toilet before, but all with plastic pipe and never seen metal waste pipe before like this!

Is there anyway I can join the new basin trap to this ? I was thinking maybe plastic pipe from the trap and then a straight coupler to the metal pipe?.....

Anyway seen this before?

Sponsored Links
You can buy a compression adapter to plastic, (has a red/copper coloured washer, although the normal one should fit.

14398370.jpg
;)

Thanks for your info all.

I will get one of those.

I guess the original pipe is in imperial, ie 1 1/4" and not 32mm? WHich will be OK?

ANy good ways of cutting copper / metal waste pipe neatly/squarely... hacksaw only way??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back