Pedestal Basin, waste problem/limited space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new pedestal basin, the old one's bowl was chipped and dirty. The problem I have, and would like to ask for any advice if I may, is that the waste pipe from the basin is shortish and goes straight out of the wall and then down into a hopper and is metal pipe.

The new basin with trap on (bottle trap) doesn't reach/fit the original pipe and I can not re-pipe from the trap with a straight connecter as the space is limited.

Are there any ways around this problem? Or will I have to removed the old metal pipe from the wall and run a new one out. The old pipe in the wall looks all secure and plastered around, etc.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

In what way does the bottle trap not reach.

Do you mean heightwise.

If so go to plumbers merchant and get yourself and adjustable p-trap.

Rico

it doesn't reach length wise, the end of the trap is too short to treach the peipe, and no space available to add pipe/connector.

If you mean the trap isn't long enough, you can get telescopic ones...if the trap is too long, it generally means a new hole in the wall.
John :)

Sponsored Links
the trap can line up with the pipe but is too short to reach it. You can get telescopic ones to adjus height from waste fitting on basin but didn't know you can get one that outwards from trap to pipe!!??

It does sound like you need to lengthen the waste pipe

Can't do though as not enough space. It is only about 1 inch short of the pipe!!

Can you cut the existing waste pipe shorter to allow space for a univeral coupling and new piece of 1 1/4 between trap and existing waste?

Ah, see what you mean!
Time for a new bit of waste pipe, as I guess it would be very difficult to get a connector in. Usually possible though, if its solvent weld pipe.
John :)

can't solvent weld it as it's a metal pipe out the wall.

Will try an extendable p-trap :) thanks for all your advice everyone.

I am fitting a new pedestal basin,Are there any ways around this problem? will I have to removed the old metal pipe from the wall and run a new one out. The old pipe in the wall looks all secure and plastered around, etc.
Yes you will...it might Look secure, but it`ll be run through a half-brick size hole at least. And only a smear of pug on the outside joints ...Been Done ,T-Shirt ;) before core drills etc.Get it Out.

How many times has that happened? Try so carefully to pull/push the old pipe out to use the hole for a new pipe, then all the plaster falls off round the hole inside, and the mortar fill comes out the external hole. So you still end up making good the hole..... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back