Waste pipe run from basin, basic query?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Just a quick question (probably sounds daft to you pros)! - i am running a waste pipe from my pedestal basin, via a bottle trap to the hopper head (hole already drilled through wall) - how do i get a good gradient on the pipe - does it have to be enough gradient?

From the bottle trap i run a small pieve of pipe to an elbow, then from the elbow i am a bit unsure - do i install another elbow or a swept tee? but by doing this how do i get the fall to the hole in the wall? do i just heat and bend the plastic waste pipe? or do i need special fittings?

thanks for your help on this basic problem

Sponsored Links
I dont understand what you are describing or asking!

Generally a fall of between 1:20 and 1:40 will be fine.

Tony

I sort of understand what you are saying, the only bit without a 'fall' in your pipework description would be the bit that goes through the thickness of the wall.

This really wont be a problem as the resersvoir ie your basin and bottle trap are higher.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for helping me. So is it ok for the pipe from the swept tee to be a straight run - or do i need to bend the waste pipe by hand a little to get a fall? i don't see a way to get the gradient from the basin to the wall otherwise?!! how do you pro's run a waste from a basin to get the fall?

A drawing or a picture is better than a thousand words. :confused: Yes you will need a fall along the pipe run, from the bottle trap to the hopper. You just cant get the fall through the thickness of the wall. If your hole through the wall to the outside is in the wrong place, you will have to form a new one.

Hi

Thanks for helping - basically i want to know how to create a fall in a waste pipe, as unlike copper pipe you cannot bend it in a pipe bender!! how do you get a gradient?

also, if i do need a new hole - is a hole saw ok or a core drill needed? it's an external wall (obviously)!! :)

With a mixture of pre made bends (obtuse/45 degree whatever) allowing the pipe lenghts to move from the horizontal :D

i get ya!! - a 45 degree bend then a small length of pipe and then another 45 degree bend?? these 45s to be installed close to the basin best bet??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back