help with wash basin waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

I have to replace the washbasin waste in my bathroom.

The total length of run is just over 3.5m. The existing 32mm waste runs from the bottle trap to the outside then drops down and joins vertically into the horizontal 40mm bath waste outside the building via a swept tee. Water is very slow to flow away at the moment so I want to improve flow.

Due to the total length of pipe run can I get away with 40mm diameter pipe?

Will I need an anti-syphon bottle trap?

As basin traps are normally 32mm dia can I get a basin trap with 40mm outlet?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
whats causing it to flow slow ? has it not got enough gradient ?
if not it won't be any quicker with a larger pipe.

if you decide to fit a bigger pipe the easiest way is to keep the 32mm trap and fit a short piece of 32mm pipe into the first bend (a 40mm bend with 40x32 reducer in it)

Sponsored Links
whats causing it to flow slow ? has it not got enough gradient ?
if not it won't be any quicker with a larger pipe.

The gradient is not good at the moment but I will make it steeper when I replace it. 20mm in 1m I heard was the correct fall.

Thanks for replying

2 different things, if you want to uprade to 40mm to the drain, you need to connect the 32mm into it, so you fit a 40mm bend (with 40mm pipe in one end going to the drain) and a 40x32 reducer in the other end of the bend connected to a short piece of the original 32mm pipe.

Coming to a situation like this after others had tried the above and the rate was still slow, I put a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" bush on the basin waste, then used a 1 1/2" vented P trap. Bottles traps are a bit resistive.
It was a bit quicker to empty the basin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back