Does PVA expire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Just as the title says, does PVA go out of date? I've got about a quarter of a 1 litre tub left, last used about 6/7 months ago, maybe longer. Would it be ok to use again just for patching up work or is it best to buy a fresh tub?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
you can usually tell
has it been subjected to near freezing or freezing temperatures :?: :?:

I always have pva and sbr in the van and if you are using it and putting the lid back on after you've gauged it then no reason why it should go off.I think it has got a long working life so as long as you don't put old used stuff back in the container (keep old used stuff in it's own container) as you will most of the time have some left over after you have watered it down and used what you want,so keep it seperate and use that first on new jobs,I always tend to keep the mix no more than 3-1 as pva (which when I first used it was called "Unibond" and still is made, but there are a lot of cheaper versions around now so best to keep it at a strong mix. ;) ) If you use the real unibond then you can use it at 4 or 5 to 1 mix... ;)

It can go off as already mentioned freezing temps will destroy it, so best kept in dry, warmish conditions with top tightly on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

It's been stored in the house since it was first used and the lid tightly on. Its evo stick by the way. Roy C, would it be best to use a stronger mix than 5 parts water and 1 part pva for sealing although the instructions state it? For adhesion it states 3 pva 1 water.

Phil

roy c";p="2629666 said:
Thanks for the replies.

It's been stored in the house since it was first used and the lid tightly on. Its evo stick by the way. Roy C, would it be best to use a stronger mix than 5 parts water and 1 part pva for sealing although the instructions state it? For adhesion it states 3 pva 1 water.

Phil
Yes Phil. I find alot of these brands have different characteristics so I tend to make it abit stronger than they reccomend. But this is just my way of doing things and had no probs yet.. ;) Also a little tip if the lids on any tubs of pva or sbr are hard to unscrew by hand give the lid a few taps with the hammer this will loosen it up..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back