Does RS Components have any connection with Radio Shack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just occurred to me that the abbreviation for Radio Shack is RS, and just wondered if their is or ever has been a connection between RS components and Radio Shack?

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
RS began life as Radio Spares sometime in the 1940's or 50's selling own brand components for repairing radios. The company changed to RS when the business changed from being purely spares for radios to a much wider range of components

Radio Shack began in the USA and as far as I know there is no connection with Radio Spares.

I looked it up, I was wrong about the year it started 1937 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS_Components )

I visited the trade counter in Maple Street ( off Tottenham Court Road ) several times in 1967-68. They provided free tea while customers waited for their orders to be picked. If I recall correctly the tea then was made in a tea pot with real tea ( loose leaves, not bags ).

1937 Founded as "Radiospares"
1954 Re-focused on industrial sector
1971 Re-branded as "RS Components"
1984 Corby distribution centre opened
1995 CD-ROM catalogue introduced
1997 Nuneaton distribution centre opened
1998 E-commerce web site launched[3]

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm an old foegy - but I've always known RS Comp's as 'Rad Spads'. I'm continually surprised as the number of (not so young) yougsters in that line of business who have never heard of the term...

I recall their sales rep visiting our power station in the very early 60s, opening his flight box style briefcase in which were laid out a demonstration sample of individual small electrolytics.

I recall their sales rep visiting our power station in the very early 60s, opening his flight box style briefcase in which were laid out a demonstration sample of individual small electrolytics.

All individually marked with the RS symbol and product code

In the early days there was no Stock Code but instead there was a short description of the item in the box

Their early miniature electrolytics were atrocious with leads falling off, probably due to corrosion caused either by leakage of the electrolyte or metal mismatch between case and lead.

Our rep used to book out the mess hall for a morning in March as he knew it was coming up to the end of our financial year (government organisation ) We either had to use it or lose it, so we would buy all the latest gadgets stocking up the labs..

From what I understand the name Tandy was used by Radio Shack in the UK and they were never known as RS in the UK.
As has been said, I don't think that the name "RS" (ex RadioSpares) has ever been used by, or connected with, Tandy/Radio Shack, anywhere. It is a pure coincidence that the initials of Radio Shack are "RS".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back