Does the guarantee cover this??

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last summer I had an old back boiler removed and a new boiler fitted. At the time the zone valve packed up so that was replaced and also an underspecced radiator was replaced with a bigger one.

There's a leak on the new rad which I am sure the guarantee covers. But there are two other rads that still need bleeding every week (as per my earlier post). I reckon the system should have settled by now. There was never a problem with these rads before the new boiler and zone valve was put in. Do you think the guarantee should cover this?

I have checked the wording and the quote just says 'all work guaranteed for 12 months'. No details.

Opions please.

Thanks folks.

(And for those of you with good memories, no I haven't started balancing the system yet. Thought I should get air and water leaks fixed first.)

Sponsored Links
Kev that's too cryptic for me. Pls explain!

Sponsored Links
It was done by a Corgi registered local company that have a very long and good reputation in the area. I paid for what I thought would be a quality job. And most of it was.

I lookedat your earlier post
"When I bleed the radiaotors the water is blackish and gas has that iron/metally smell. "

Which went unanswered. Water at the vent/bleed point being blackish may be a sign of trubble. Did you ever do the nail in a glass jar test which was suggested? Drain some water off, report on its colour and leave it in a jar for a week with a clean nail. Does it rust?

When the boiler was changed, was the whole system power-flushed?? That takes a special machine and a few hours at least? If not then the guy didn't do his job properly. Check your boiler installation instructions (what Potty is it by the way?) and it's probably specify how the system should be cleaned. Lobbing in a bottle of jollop by itself will not do. Do you have a completed "Benchmark" card - what does it say he did to clean the system?

As explained before the gas which you're letting out could be a corrosion product.
Inhibitors are designed to chemically coat the surfaces of iron in the system - passivating them. If you pour a bottle into a dirty system it seems to turn the dirt into a black tarry compound. And it would take a lot more of the stuff to overcome all the dirt and cover the rads too.

So a sort of half-baked answer might be to put a lot more inhibitor in, to stop the corrosion/gassing. Check the nail test before and after, it would be interesting to hear what happens.

As for his guarantee, I expect he would fix the leaks and put some more inhibitor in, probably no more.

Okay ChrisR, I did the nail-in-a-jar test. The bleed water actually was only black for the first drop, thereafter it was crystal clear.

Over night the nail started to rust a bit (orange plume in the water around nail) and the grey tinge in the water fromn the first black drop settled completely to tiny bits at the bottom of the glass.

Earlier test on the gas showed it wasn't hygrogen.

Boiler is Potterton Suprima 50L, fitted new in August 2004. Couldn't find any instal instructions or Benchmark card, and no mention of power flush in quote. I can ask the heating company, but want to get my facts/expectations right before I do so.

Having read lots of posts about gunge in the system I offer the following as, I hope, relevant info: The CH system is 'only' 14 years old. None of the rads have any cool spots - they are all roasting except the two that need bleeding.

Wadya reckon??

Hi Chris

Would love to hear your verdict on the rusty nail in the clear radiator juice as per previous post.

Thanks
Min

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back